jdbower

Chris Lilly's Cherry-pineapple sweet ribs with Zin-sational

Also found here but I decided to repost on the forums for posterity. :)

Cherry-pineapple sweet ribs with Zin-sational glaze

From Chris Lilly, Big Bob Gibson BBQ

Makes: 4-6 servings; prep time: 20 minutes; cook time: 4 hours

INGREDIENTS

• 2 slabs St Louis cut spareribs

Dry rub

• 2 tablespoons dark brown sugar

• 2 tablespoons paprika

• 1 tablespoon garlic salt

• 1 1/2 teaspoons onion salt

• 1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder

• 3/4 teaspoon black pepper

• 1/2 teaspoon red pepper

• 1/4 teaspoon oregano

• 1/4 teaspoon cumin

Liquid seasoning

• 1/2 cup pineapple juice

• 1/2 cup black cherry juice

• 1 tablespoon reserved dry rub mix

• 1 1/2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar

• 1 1/2 teaspoons minced garlic

Zin-sational Glaze

• 1 cup Red Zinfandel wine

• 1 cup black cherry juice

• 1/2 cup Rainier cherries

• 1/2 cup blackberries

• 1/2 cup granulated sugar

• 1/2 jalapeno pepper, veins removed and seeded

• 1 1/2 cup Big Bob Gibson Championship Red Sauce (substitute favorite BBQ sauce)

DIRECTIONS

Remove the membrane from the back of the rib. Combine rub and mix well. Reserve one tablespoon of rub for liquid seasoning mixture. Generously apply rub onto the front and back sides of ribs. Gently pat to ensure that rub will adhere. Preheat charcoal cooker to 250 degrees F. Place ribs meat-side up on grate and cook over indirect heat for 2 1/2 hours.

Remove ribs from the cooker. Place each rib meat-side down on its own doubled aluminum foil square. Foil should be large enough to completely wrap rib. Mix the liquid seasoning. Pour 1/2 cup of the liquid over each rib. At the same time, tightly wrap and seal each rib with aluminum foil. Place back in cooker for 1 hour 15 minutes.

While the ribs are cooking, pour the red wine and the black cherry juice into a saute pan and simmer over medium heat. Reduce the mixture to 1/2 cup (about 15-20 minutes). Add the cherries, blackberries, sugar, and jalapeno pepper to the mixture and simmer for an additional 5 minutes. Remove the fruit from the mixture, add the barbecue sauce and stir well.

Remove ribs from cooker, unwrap, and discard foil. Brush the Zin-sational glaze on both sides of ribs. Place ribs in cooker for 15 minutes, or until sauce caramelizes.

Edited to fix a typo and add a link to Chris' Book

Re: Need this book

This sounds wonderful. I think I will be needing Chris Lillt's book.

Hey LPT41, I bought this book (tiltled Big Bob Gibson'd BBQ Book) on the advice of someone on this forum and rarely a day goes by that I don't pick it up...... :D It took me a while to gather up all of the spices that Chris uses seeing as I live in a small retirement community however, Mrs. T Rex is in Vegas and will come back with any that I couldn't find locally. With the exception of the whole pig, I intend on making every recipe in the book!

Welcome to the forum.

T Rex

Finding spices

My son's girlfriend is Thai/Cambodian and she uses tons of really interesting spices when she cooks - don't ask I don't know what they're called. But I can help you find them as she ordered some fun stuff for me as a Xmas gift last year. The company is out of Seattle, WA and is called World Spice dot com (this is only my second post, so I can't give you the actual website link) ;-p

Great Site.. Thanks VERY BIG!

Argh.. Makes me realize what I can't get here..

Great site, thanks Ann...

I'm loosing sleep thinking about how many new flavors I can get into a big $150 box at this place.. I bet it will also raise the brows of the customs agents here..

Gotta build a spice rack for their tubs..

Thanks again..

;);)

Re: Great Site.. Thanks VERY BIG!

Does that strike anyone else as funny? He's in INDONESIA. Southeast Asia, the home of exotic spices, and he must mail order to the States and have them sent?

:::shaking head:::

Free trade, my tush...

Re: Great Site.. Thanks VERY BIG!

Does that strike anyone else as funny? He's in INDONESIA. Southeast Asia, the home of exotic spices, and he must mail order to the States and have them sent?

:::shaking head:::

Free trade, my tush...

Yup.. Lots of spices here but after 22 years of eating them.. I'm really ready to get some new flavors from other parts of the world..

You did notice it was called "World Spice Merchants"

I'd love to try a whole bunch of their spice blends too.. Most of the imported spices here are very commercial and too old by the time I get them..

I like that you can buy the blends whole not yet ground..

As you know fresh is everything..