Loquitur

Early Cooking Mistakes

..... Dennis was working on a pizza stone product' date=' I don't know the status of that. Personally I use a Fibrament stone and it has performed well for over a year now.[/quote'] Fetz - what size Fibrament stone do you recommend?

Susan

I will have to measure it to be sure, but as I recall, it's a little bit bigger than the heat deflector.

I checked out the site and they offer quite a few different sizes. Interestingly, they recommend a metal liner for use on the grill. This is to avoid the direct flame on the Fibrament. The two sizes for grilling are 13 5/8" and 15 1/2". However, they do offer a 19" round Fibrament. If we used our own heat deflectors, couldn't we order the largest round size for less money than the two "grilling stones" and get more cooking space?

I checked out the site and they offer quite a few different sizes. Interestingly' date=' they recommend a metal liner for use on the grill. This is to avoid the direct flame on the Fibrament. The two sizes for grilling are 13 5/8" and 15 1/2". However, they do offer a 19" round Fibrament. If we used our own heat deflectors, couldn't we order the largest round size for less money than the two "grilling stones" and get more cooking space?[/quote']

Great catch, Conodo!!! :P I didn't even notice that 19" round size!! I would love the extra room there, whether I use it or not. I was thinking the 13 5/8 was kinda small considering that I'm cooking for two people with good appetites and would rather get my pizza/s done in one batch so we can both sit down to enjoy it together, hot off the grill.

Hmmmmm... Somebody needs to call these guys and get some clarification. When looking at the "Info" page for the BBQ Fibrament they mention that they come in the sizes from my previous post. When you go to the "Order" page, the BBQ sizes change to 14 1/4" and 16 1/4". The 19" is still cheaper but it does not come with the metal pan.

Per my earlier post, do you guys cook pizzas with the heat deflector in the KK or do you rely on the metal pan that ships with a stone?

Per my earlier post, do you guys cook pizzas with the heat deflector in the KK or do you rely on the metal pan that ships with a stone?

With Dennis' stone, i do it direct on the upper grill. With the store bought stones (NOT fibrament - just the $10 ones you get at Bed, Bath Beyond or LNT(before they were gone)) i had to use a deflector directly under the stone or they would get too hot and burn up the underside of the crust. Usually this was just a couple of big nuts or metal pucks that came with my Jeep lift...you just need an inch or two of air between the deflector and the baking stone. Even with the deflector on the handles, and baking stone up on the rack it would still get too hot - they needed to be together.

Dennis stone setup:

viewtopic.php?t=3002

Store bought stone setup:

viewtopic.php?t=2696

The store bought setup i linked is actually Calzones on my old grill, and I used a grill wok as the spacer to try and get higher up in the dome. I didnt have the upper grill like the KK has, so you would just need a few 1 inch thick nuts or spacers on the kk upper rack. I had a pizza thread showing this in detail, but of course all the pictures stored on postimage are dead in that thread :mad:

Thanks for the links from some of your past cooks Rick - Two of my favorite by the by!

So, I get that Fibrament has some options but let's give Dennis a chance to chime in here. In his last comment on Rick's pizza thread (from May) Dennis mentions that he has stones available. Everything that I have received from Dennis has exceeded my expectations (and I have a lot of toys!). My sense is that the pizza stone will not disappoint. Typically I would just email Dennis about my request but there appears to be a lot of interest in making pizzas and Dennis has a solution for the KK. So, Dennis - what's the scoop on the pizza stones? Details please! :D (size, cost, instructions for use, etc.!) Thanks!!

I have the 15" stone without the flame pan. I always use the heat deflector on the lump basket. There are times that the flames come up high enough to reach the stone on the upper grill (upper/sear grill on top of the main grill), but with the HD on the lump basket it keeps them far enough to the sides that I have not had any issues. I don't know if that would be the case with a 19" stone.

I have had the stone for probably 2 years.

Hi Amphoran!

Does the 19" stone weigh a ton :?: That's my big concern about it.

I have an oven rack sized Fibrament for inside, and it weighs considerably less than a ton. Ok, so I didn't check for sure, but I SUSPECT it's less than a ton. It weighs less than my car, which has a curb weight of 1.4 tons. I can't lift my car, but I can lift up the oven-sized Fibrament.

It weighs less than my Other Manufacturer's cooker (K5). I can't lift that, either.

Not very scientific, but I stand by my conclusion that it weighs less than a ton.

OOOOPS! Is my face red.

My Fibrament is 15.5" in diameter, not 19. Just another guy lying about size, I guess.....

My 15.5" stone weighs 9 lb, 10 oz, so applying some math, the 19" stone ought to weigh 1.6 times as much, or 15 pounds 7 oz. Hefty, but manageable.

Mike

=

No worries, Mike - everything is cool!! :supz: The weights make my decision easy. I have a vision of the 15 pounder smoking hot on my KK. I decide that I have to move it off the KK, I am too lazy to fetch my welding gloves so I try to pick it up with something inadequate as a heat shield, I pull it against my body to help support it, and I end up burning myself, dropping it on my brick patio and smashing it to smithereens, all in one fell swoop!! :mad: So, I'm going with the 15.5" 10 pounder. I think its plenty big for my needs. And you thought it was even bigger than it is!!

Just as an aside, I've been trying to buy a pizza stone from Dennis for quite some time so I don't think they are available right now. And I really want to get going on pizza with the great tomatoes I have in my garden.

Susan

So' date=' I'm going with the 15.5" 10 pounder.[/quote']

We have a Fibrament stone, perhaps even smaller than this.

The issue they lectured us on was thickness, not weight. It takes too long for the thickest commercial stones to heat through before use, not an issue in a pizza shop, but certainly an issue at home.

Meanwhile, it took burning through a lot of myths for us to become thrilled with our pizza. I'd probably be horrified a couple of years ago by what works best now. Share my past-life horror or try it, your pick.

I know that dogmatic prejudices ruin cooking every time, but when I saw the best-pizza-of-my-life made in Italy at temperatures that ushered in the bronze age, I thought I saw god. Get over it!

You all know I could fill in 500 words here. I'll cut to the chase: We make our dough by hand, easier than a bread machine and infinitely superior texture, then roll the pies out and set them on parchment paper. No more days of "I'm a freakin' idiot and why is the dog complaining that olives are flying into her eyes but the pie is still stuck to my peel!" Yuh, corn meal works, so does rhythm.

Cook for 2 1/2 minutes at 500 to 550 F on the stone, then pull off the parchment paper and transfer to an aluminum pizza screen. Yeah, those round things that would make a mosquito screen for a ship's window. Set the screen back on the stone till the pizza is done. The crust breathes this way, and the crust doesn't burn before the pizza is done. (We like thin crust pizza, and we grind our own flour; YMMV.)

Believe me, we've tried everything, and for us this works. Whatever works, like John Lennon sung...

Just as an aside, I've been trying to buy a pizza stone from Dennis for quite some time so I don't think they are available right now. And I really want to get going on pizza with the great tomatoes I have in my garden.

Susan

Your wait is over Susan - (I think Dennis heard you!) Check out the KK Pizza Stone here: http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewtopic.php?t=3265

And email Dennis with your request. Of course you can always call Dennis on his voip line - just be prepared to chat for a bit! :D:lol:

Thanks, Sanny, Syz and Conodo. My order for the pizza stone from Dennis is in. I'm really excited about doing pizza on the KK. I've been reading and thinking about it for some time and welcome the voice of KK pizza experience. My plan is to do a thin crust from a biga and top it with sauce from my garden tomatoes, fresh mozzarella and sausage with fennel. I will use the parchment paper most definitely as well as the 550 temps.

I'll let you know how it goes. Unfortunately, I've been traveling alot lately and haven't been able to spend much time with my KK. But this is the last week of that.

Susan