Otto Maddock

Bronze #580 Reporting for Duty

(Stealing Beeps' idea of placing the unit number in the Subject line.)

The arrival of the KK crate attracted quite a crowd! I didn't even need to ask for help moving it around the house as my neighbor volunteered! Beer was involved.

Here's our new yard art/cookert:

52572497.jpg

The local grocery store makes a pre-prepared garlic bone-in pork roast that we buy on a pretty regular basis. In the past I've cooked them indirect on both my Weber gas and charcoal grills with really good results.

Here's the pre-cook view:

59888150.jpg

After playing with the vents, I was able to get the fire temp to 335 degrees. It took about an hour and a half for the roast to get to 155. It looked pretty good for not being seared at all...

54701940.jpg

The previous roasts sliced nice & easy. However, after letting this one sit for 15 minutes, my wife attempted to slice off a piece. It was as tough as my old catcher's mitt.

We examined the roast and discovered it was full of gristle. It was like the meat was from a mutant pig. The picture below doesn't do the gristle justice.

36397168.jpg

Oh well. Not a great first cook, (and not because of the KK), but I'll be back at it tomorrow night!

question

Wow, actual plant growth! And even some algae. Central Texas looks like the surface of the moon after 26 months with no appreciable rain. Do you usually cook that meat at 300 plus? I'm guessing a 225 low and slow is needed. That's what tenderizes the tough connective tissue. A pork loin roast does not require that, however. But I see ribs in there, so that's not a pure loin cut.

My old weber's usually settle around 350 degrees. so I was happy that I got the KK to settle around 330 by just eyeballing the vents. Since it was my first cook, I didn't think 330 would be too bad. My previous cooks with this type of cut were really good. I will definitely try a lower & slower approach next time.

I'm wondering if the meat was mislabeled. (It's quite possible that I'm calling it the wrong name.) It's never been like that before.

The foil on the potatoes is an old habit. I'll try them without the foil next time. ;)

That reminds me of an old story I read on Dear Abby: A mom was preparing a roast and she cut the ends off before putting it in the pan. Her daughter asked her why. The mom said,"Grandma always did it that way."

Later when talking to grandma, they asked her why she cut the ends off of the roast. Grandma said,"So it can fit in my small baking pan!"

Sometimes old habits die hard, even when there is no reason to keep them! :P

Algea/moss in Seattle

It's been somewhat of a dry summer in Seattle, but moss can be a problem in western Washington.

The rock on the right is a fountain that runs 24/7. My wife doesn't like putting chemicals in it very often. (Atleast it is self-contained.)

The cat likes the fountain. He tries to catch the birds that arrive to drink. I had to put a bell on him since he's nabbed a few. The fact that he's caught any is surprising: he's a big boy going on 13 years.

Yipes the cat likes to hang with me when I cook on the patio. (He was named by a little girl.)

87506094.jpg

I dont think his temp is all that bad....Its splitting hairs...but if the dome temp is 330 he is really cooking at about 350 grill level

He was cooking indirect (looks like the deflector is on the lower grill and he forgot the drip pan) so the grill temp will actually be lower than the dome temp. At least that is the way it is for me if I am remembering correctly. Not that it would matter either way.

Hmmmm... My vote is that Otto just got a bad cut of meat. I would suggest either wrapping the heat deflector in foil for easy cleanup or do as our resident Pimp Monkey does and flip it each time you use it. Also, is that deflector resting down on top of the charcoal basket handles? If not, it should be. Lastly, a drip pan can be nice for collecting drippings (gravy!) but not having it in did not adversely affect this cook (IMHO).

Keep at it - it gets TONS better!!! :)

I am glad to see that I am not the only one who has wrapped their baked potatoes before putting them on the grill! However, they are really good on the KK without being wrapped. I like mine to get a hint burnt and crispy.

Why should the heat deflector be resting on the charcoal basket handles? I have done countless cooks with the heat deflector and pan resting on the lower grill with no problems. I think it's just a matter of preference.

2nd Cook: Pork Ribs with Much Better Results

My 2nd cook ended with much better results! I decided to try Chris Lilly's dry rub rib recipe from the first Today Show post.

The dome stabilized around 260-270 and the indirect grill surface rose from about 205 to 230 throughout the cook. 4 hours later, the result is this:

60446728.jpg

Very tasty.

13404845.jpg

There you go...nothing like having a reason to cook more ribs :D

This is going to sound crazy, but I actually had some worthwhile BBQ in downtown Seattle, of all places. I am usually unimpressed by BBQ restaurants, because they all seem to excel in mediocrity. Maybe this place just caught me on a good day, or I got there at just the right time to get the perfect set of ribs, but they were good.

I just googled for the place, and I think this is it:

http://www.seattlefoodster.com/?p=202

I agree with the reviewer - I also wanted a tangier or spicier sauce option (And yes, the venting 'que smoke did lure me in from over a block away). I dont know if I would make a trip into town to try it, but if I am in the vicinity, and want a good lunch for under $10, I would definitely go back.

There you go...nothing like having a reason to cook more ribs :D

This is going to sound crazy, but I actually had some worthwhile BBQ in downtown Seattle, of all places. I am usually unimpressed by BBQ restaurants, because they all seem to excel in mediocrity. Maybe this place just caught me on a good day, or I got there at just the right time to get the perfect set of ribs, but they were good.

I just googled for the place, and I think this is it:

http://www.seattlefoodster.com/?p=202

I agree with the reviewer - I also wanted a tangier or spicier sauce option (And yes, the venting 'que smoke did lure me in from over a block away). I dont know if I would make a trip into town to try it, but if I am in the vicinity, and want a good lunch for under $10, I would definitely go back.

I've actually eaten there. It's pretty good for Seattle. At one time Dixie's BBQ was the bomb, but it's gone downhill for awhile. Pecos Pit in Seattle is probably the best around, but that's a matter of opinion.

http://www.seattlepi.com/food/326987_eat10.html