Hitman

My first pork shoulder adventure

Here are a few more photos.

Ready to go on the grill. Contrary to the tutorial, it did not lose much moisture during the 24 hours it was in the fridge, and I did not have to add much more rub.

gx217tLJ.jpg

11 PM Friday night.

gx217_bA.jpg

11 AM next morning. I left it on too long, fire got too hot, meat was overcooked. Everyone still loved it. I'll do better next time.

gx2189a9.jpg

Ready to wrap in foil, then wrapped in towels, then into the cooler.

gx218qD9.jpg

I am getting seriously pissed off at PostImage.org. I tried a dozen times to add another photo, keep getting a message "no input file specified"/

:mad::mad::smt011:smt097

Try Imageshack. They have a toolbar you can install that has a shell extension. You can just right-click on your images through windows exporer,and upload them (even several at once). They will automatically resize to whatever dimensions you choose, and when they are done uploading, a web page opens with the images previewed, and all the URLs listed in one spot, so you can copy them.

The toolbar link is right on the forum posting page if you want to try it.

Your heat deflector is a completely different shape than mine. Mine is round, with an external stainless steel basket, and a ceramic stone-like inner center.

Yours is a KK stone. The doc has one of those too (right?) but he got in a hurry one day to get cooking, so he filled a square wok with lava rock, and started the science experiment you see above :shock:

I never clean mine, either, doc, but its just a black disk. I flip it over each time, so the dirty side guts burned clean. Do you never cook inderect at higher temps? Or are those globs just crispy hollow shapes now?

lava rock deflector

Here's how it came to be. Before I got the KK, I was trying to figure a way to do a low and slow in my metal grill. I needed some kind of heat deflector between the fire and the meat. I did not know about fire bricks at the time. One idea was to cut the bottom out of a cast iron skillet, to have a cast iron disc. Seemed like a neat idea, but too much elbow grease. Wandering through the Home Depot BBQ dept, I happened to spy the lava rocks. There's a good heat deflector! But how to contain them?Right next to the rocks was the grilling wok, bingo! Idea born. And cheap, too. There is not a lot of vertical space in these metal grills. But, the Meco Swinger has an adjustable height grill. So I lowered the grill down to the minimum, put the lava rock heat deflector on the grill, and then laid another grill on top of that. Lo and behold the lid could shut, and not contact the meat. I had me a little mini smoker! Only problem turned out to be the fuel capacity. You can't get twelve plus hours of charcoal in one of these. But, it makes a dandy four hour rib cooker!! Anyway I was just playing around trying to maximize my cooking options while I waited to get up the nerve to drop the cash on a KK. The photo shows the wok minus the lava rocks, just to illustrate the set up. When the KK showed up, I just kept using it. So for those of you who don't yet have a ceramic cooker, here's a stop gap tool to help your cooks.

TsfaCcA.jpg

TsfaEHJ.jpg