cruzmisl

anyone ever cook goat?

I hate to say it but I will anyway. My wife was watching Oprah and Michael Pollan was her guest. The question was which is the most widely consumed meat in the world, beef, chicken goat or pork. I thought it would be chicken but its actually goat. Apparently goat has less fat than beef and more protein than chicken. Closest I've gotten to a goat is feeding them corn at a petting farm :)

Maybe we need a recipe section for goat :D

Baby goat is wonderful. I haven't tried it on the KK, but I make it following "Baby Lamb Hunter's Style" from Ada Boni, still my favorite no-frills Italian cookbook. (Many of us of a certain age learned Italian cooking from this book when it first showed up on remainder stacks in the 80's.)

Saute meat till brown in lard, season with salt, pepper, add rosemary, garlic, and sage. Dust with flour. Let it brown and add 1/2 cup each water and vinegar. Cook over low heat till tender. In another pan dissolve 4 anchovy fillets in liquid from the meat. Pour over meat, reduce till sauce is thick and dark, covering the meat like a glaze.

(This also does wonders for chicken. It would probably make Charlie Chaplin's shoes taste good.)

I haven't had the pleasure of having had goat but I just saw a show on TV where Food Network's Iron Chef Michael Symon said the best thing he ever ate in the meat category is the goat at Resto in NYC. Apparently you order a whole goat a week in advance and they cook all parts of the animal and serve it to your party. He and his group sure looked like they were enjoying it!! I like lamb so I would love to try it.

Susan