vkl

What was the first thing you cooked on your KK?

Volunteer

Here, I'll do it...

Make a pork butt! :wink:

We used Cruzmisl's tutorial (link below), but didn't follow it exactly. Our butt tasted great and it was a ton of fun doing something we've never done before.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... =pork+butt

If you're not into pork, try a brisket.

http://www.komodokamado.com/forum/viewt ... ht=brisket

I'd recommend a low and slow (anything around 220F or so), but my personal preference is a pulled pork loin rather than a butt. It's still a large cut of meat and shows off the KK's temperature control for about 16 hours or so, but I llike the results better since they're not as greasy and they go well with a thin vinegar sauce. That said, my wife prefers the butts/shoulders for the very same reason I dislike them - too bad she's not the one cooking! ;)

I'd recommend a low and slow (anything around 220F or so), but my personal preference is a pulled pork loin

I'm surprised a loin wouldn't dry out--I always go 400 on top of the upper sear rack for about an hour to 140 --what temp fire and internal temp on the loin do you shoot for--i always tie the loin like a roast

I do tenderloin as a roast, I do loin at 220F until I get to about 195. Depending on your tastes it could be construed as a bit dry compared to a butt, but I still find it excellent on a KK and it pairs perfectly with a touch of thin BBQ sauce. If you want a little more moisture when reheating, add some vinegar (white or apple cider) and water before heating.

As it turns out sometimes you don't get to choose what the first thing will be.

It's a Tuesday and the Grill arrives at about 12:30. So by the time you unpack it, take the lid off, get it up on the deck and put it back together it's running on 2:30...

You think still time to fire it up for dinner, something simple would be best.

You knock out the hole for the Stoker and find out that the attachment won't fit. So now your off to Newark to visit your new best friends at Rocks BBQ to try to change parts.

Your heading home it's 3:15 and you have about given up on the idea of cooking but that little voice in your head says don't give up now so you head to the store for ribs.

And the first thing you cook on your new grill is ribs not pork shoulder not steak or fish just ribs, and dinner will be around 8:00.. :P:P

Great choice with the ribs TNT and congrats on the purchase. :) I have now had mine for a couple of months and haven't even scratched the surface of what I want to do with it this summer.

Plan on something like 4 to 4.5 hours at 250F, take some pictures and ENJOY!

T Rex

I received my KK the day after Tony got his. I've been under the weather the last couple of days. Now that I feel a little better it looks like the family wants me to bbq some baby backs.

Brined Salmon on a bed of Basil

30424_413290619975_588449975_5247625_5747768_n.jpg

So brine some wild salmon in 1/2 cup salt, 1/3 cup sugar per gallon for four hours. Rest on a bed of supermarket basil (those weeds no self-respecting Italian would use for pesto). Cook low and slow until just done to taste. I like apple smoke. This will melt in your mouth.

Much less effort than butt, which is also a reasonable choice. But there's the politics: A KK is about much more than "BBQ". It's a "cooking over live fire" oven like much of the sensible world uses, and one should use it for any purpose one can. Starting with a non-BBQ item helps to reinforce this point.

Seriously, our indoor oven went on the blink around the time our first ceramic cooker arrived, and one of our first cooks was a strawberry rhubarb pie over coconut charcoal.

Re: Nice job!

Nice job on the ribs, how long and at what temp? They have a fabulous smoke ring on them.

Oh yeah, nice platter! :D

T Rex

T Rex,

Thanks for the kind words! Temp was 250 for 4 hours. I see some of the guys are making fun of you about your platters from other posts. :-)

Nice job on the ribs, how long and at what temp? They have a fabulous smoke ring on them.

T Rex

T Rex,

Thanks for the kind words! Temp was 250 for 4 hours. I see some of the guys are making fun of you about your platters from other posts. :-)

Better the platters than the food.......... :D:D

T Rex

T Rex

T Rex,

Better the platters than the food.......... :D:D

T Rex[/quote:2u7iv17i]

So true! Your pics of food look amazing!! :-)

most challenging things to do after cooking on a Komodo

So the first thing that was cooked on Leila was a few racks of baby backs. They turned out very well. It was a hit with the family. :)

IMG_0636.jpg

It's one of the most challenging things to do after cooking on a Komodo but you need to shoot shots of the sliced up ribs before the family eats them!

;);)