LarryR

First Double Decker Cook - Ribs Over Butts

Did my first two rack cook this past weekend and I've got to say I love how the top rack works. Butts were finished before the ribs, simply lifted the top grate off using the handles, removed the butts and lifted rack back on. What ease!

th_Easter101.jpg

th_Easter102.jpg

Yes, they went on at 10:00 p.m. the previous night and ribs went on around 9:00 a.m.

I was estimating the capacity of the KK on this type of cook and it appears that I could have easily added two more 9 lb butts and at least a total of six whole racks of spares (I cut these in 1/2). Impressive!

Re: First Double Decker Cook - Ribs Over Butts

I never tried to put a rib rack on the upper rack..

That's a first for me to see.

More height in there than one would imagine.

;);)

Very roomy up in the dome. I did notice the ribs seemed to cook faster up in the dome than my last cook on the main grate so it's something to keep in mind. Also, the way I racked the ribs they're actually taller than if I would have racked them as whole racks horizontally.

But I've got to say my favorite feature is how easily one can access product on that main grate by simply lifting the top grate off. Nice big handles, sturdy grate etc. Simply awesome!

There is for sure lots of room up there. I did my Easter ham on the upper rack...it was about 10# and I had it sitting in a baking dish too.

The last double decker of ribs and butts I did was reversed from this...I had the ribs underneath and the butts above. Mostly because I was doing full racks of baby backs and needed the extra room for the length to fit.