cruzmisl

Spring is here...

I'm in Michigan. I have about a half a dozen finchs that come around but I also have a lot of sparrows too that bully the timid finchs away. They (sparrows) have a nest in one of my trees and have this annoying cackle. I want to get rid of it but it seems mean. I guess the Sparrow is the "rat" of the bird world :smt017

These guys have been coming back for the last 6 years religiously. Kids call them Donald and Daisy :) They like to hang out in the water on top of my pool cover. I have to say nothing like hanging out on my deck in the morning with my coffee watching the birds. Its really relaxing.

ducks.jpg

Heh Heh... Those two ducks would taste mighty fine on on a KK!!! :twisted:

As for the sparrows - don't sweat it. If you have a bird that you prefer to see, lay out the appropriate seed. Ultimately, they will start to nest around your home and you can see the finches more often. As for the "rat" of the bird world, I'm going to have to nominate the pigeon.... or maybe the cowbird...

I'm sure they would taste good on the rotisserie or in a crock pot. Confit anyone :D My wife would kill me if she read that-she loves those two.

Anyway, about the sparrows. I have done some reading and those things are bastards. You're right. They are not the rats but the murderers of the avian world. They destroy songbird nests and kill other songbirds in their quest for dominance and food.

For the last two years I have had robin nests in different parts of my yard. About a month goes by and suddenly the eggs are destroyed. I didn't know what the hell it was that was doing it, maybe a racoon or something. Turns out its these damned sparrows killing off the native bird population.

Apparently the house sparrow was brought here from England in the early 1800's. I'm buying a trap to get rid of them. I haven't decided if I'll whack 'em or relocate. Is a 40cal pistol round too much?