Paswesley

KK Insurance

Hey Guys:

What have you done re insuring your Kooker? Have you insured yours? I will be ordering mine in a couple of weeks. Altough I live in a secluded subdivision, I am within 15 miles of Baltimore, MD, and I want to insure my Kooker against theft or other mischief. What have you done? Should I be very proactive: contact my agent and ask for a separate rider on the policy? Should I take the minimalist approach: keep the receipt and use it to offer proof of replacement cost? Should I do a third thing? Thanks, Paswesley

Re: KK Insurance

Hey Guys:

What have you done re insuring your Kooker? Have you insured yours? I will be ordering mine in a couple of weeks. Altough I live in a secluded subdivision, I am within 15 miles of Baltimore, MD, and I want to insure my Kooker against theft or other mischief. What have you done? Should I be very proactive: contact my agent and ask for a separate rider on the policy? Should I take the minimalist approach: keep the receipt and use it to offer proof of replacement cost? Should I do a third thing? Thanks, Paswesley

In your planned location could it be rolled off you property? If not running about 588 lbs I seriously doubt that anyone will be able to get it up or down stairs without some planning and equipment.

It's fully insured to your door..

Dennis: I have no doubt but that you are conscientious to a "T" and that you will insure it to my door. I was thinking ahead. My patio links to a sidewalk and thence to the driveway and to the curb. I read about zomeone's KK being stolen and I am erring on the side of caution. I assume that the average insurance company would balk if presented a claim for z cooker in excess of $4,000.00.

I read about someone's KK being stolen and I am erring on the side of caution. I assume that the average insurance company would balk if presented a claim for z cooker in excess of $4' date='000.00.[/quote']

My 5 cent's worth:

1- If he is big enough to take it I'm not big enough to stop him.

2- Are you in "Good Hands"

3- Security cameras are nice, but....

4- Neat Headline "BBQ addict steals Komodo Kamado"

5- My KK is insured by S&W

Your homeowners insurance should cover and damage or loss to your BBQ. Typically insurance companies only require riders on jewels and furs.

Secondly, 99.9% of people have no idea what the KK is so why would they want to steal something they know nothing about? Not to mention its 600lbs of dead weight. Thieves are into easy scores like plasma TV's, computers, small electronics and jewellery. They want something they can snatch quickly with as little fuss as possible and resell to pawn shops or their dealers for some dope. The KK is not any of those.

I have never heard of a stolen KK either. Maybe its a POSK story. If it was, I bet the thief was pretty disappointed when he went to the pawn shop and even they didn't want it :lol:

Middle-aged moment?

Guys:

I appreciate the input. I realize I may have read something about a stolen kooker on the Kamado forum and fused the memory over into your forum. Maybe someone needed a boat anchor and the kamado BBQ looked up to the task. :- ) BTW, I have State Farm. I suppose my homeowners' insurance should do nicely just in case. I liked the variation on the five hundred pound gorilla joke. What kind of BBQ does a 500 pound gorilla steal? Any kind he wants to ( including a kooker)!

Re: Middle-aged moment?

Guys:

I appreciate the input. I realize I may have read something about a stolen kooker on the Kamado forum and fused the memory over into your forum. Maybe someone needed a boat anchor and the kamado BBQ looked up to the task. :- ) BTW, I have State Farm. I suppose my homeowners' insurance should do nicely just in case. I liked the variation on the five hundred pound gorilla joke. What kind of BBQ does a 500 pound gorilla steal? Any kind he wants to ( including a kooker)!

Your sense of humor is outstanding. You will love this forum and fit right in.

What color are you ordering?

Your homeowners insurance should cover and damage or loss to your BBQ. Typically insurance companies only require riders on jewels and furs.

Secondly, 99.9% of people have no idea what the KK is so why would they want to steal something they know nothing about? Not to mention its 600lbs of dead weight. Thieves are into easy scores like plasma TV's, computers, small electronics and jewellery. They want something they can snatch quickly with as little fuss as possible and resell to pawn shops or their dealers for some dope. The KK is not any of those.

I have never heard of a stolen KK either. Maybe its a POSK story. If it was, I bet the thief was pretty disappointed when he went to the pawn shop and even they didn't want it :lol:

Yeah, but I bet the owner wasn't disappointed....... ;);)

T Rex

I would check with your insurance company if you want to be sure. But whether it is your homeowner's policy or a personal articles rider, you will have to be able to show a) that you really own one and B) what you paid for it. So, make sure you either have the receipt or at least have a photo of you standing next to it at your house. The value can come from prices on the web or a receipt. I recently had the watch I received for my 25th anniversary with IBM stolen and of course I didn't have a receipt. I had to provide a photo showing me wearing it. They then did some research on the web to see what the value was, and I had to encourage them NOT to believe the prices they saw on unofficial Tag web sites. They finally paid me the full value. But it is always best to check with your agent.

Thanks

Thanks for the replies, the detailed insurance ref will be very helpful. I had a bit of a problem with a company in the past, but that worked out too. I will be getting a KK with blue terra cotta, or cobalt blue- I will be equally happy with either one.