DennisLinkletter

Up a Jungle River and up on a 14,000ft Mountain..

Tomorrow night I'm flying to Timika, Papua.. We will go about 1 day up a serious jungle river and stay three nights with the Kamoro tribe with world famous anthropologist Kal Muller as our guide.

We will then return to Timika and be flown in Hueys to the base camp of the Grasburg Mine at 10,000ft. We will then proceed to go to 14,000 to see the worlds richest open pit copper and gold mine..

The best part is my mother, Bobbi her significant other Tony French and Sai are going with me.

Gotta have someone to feed the natives if they get hungry..

You know they will want Sai not us!

;-)

My momma and Tony are going to earn their tough as the Donner party stars for doing this trip at 74... It's will be be real interesting to see what breathing at 14,000ft is going to be like for all of us..

Google Grasburg Mine indonesia and the Kamoro of New Guinea to get a better idea how wild this ill be..

It will be an amazing trip.. I'm really excited.

If I don't end up in a pot myself..

I'll be back online and on the phone on the 17th...

Maybe I'll get to BBQ some grubs and piggy with the Kamoro...

Hey Dennis, I hope you have a great trip. Some pictures when you get back would be nice....... :D:D I have done 14,000' before and you might get that "guppy" feeling, the air will be quite thin if you are used to living at sea level. Keep a close watch on your mom.

T Rex

Rest

Echoing T-Rex: Keep a good watch on mom and her sigificant other. Take frequent rest breaks to lie down. Fortunately, you are about 6,000 feet below the death line. At that point, the body begins a slow decline that no amount of rest will help. But you are well below that altitude. Please post pics.

Mea culpa

I hate erroneous knowitallism (my coinage). If you are going to be a know it all then you ought at least to get the facts straight. Therefore, I want to correct my post about a "death line" at about twenty thousand feet. Actually, there is a death zone that lies twenty-five to twenty-six thousand feet above sea level. Erroneous knowitallism is forgivable, so long as you catch your own gaffe. :P Of course the question being begged is: What has this post to do with BBQ? :lol:

A few years ago, I did some work for the National Park Service, outside of Denver. I finished my work about 10AM on the last day, so I asked the clients what they recommended I go and see or do for the rest of the day. We came up with a short list; dinosaur tracks, Mt.Evans, and a few others.

Mt Evans is 14,240 ft, North Americas highest paved road, and the summit parking lot is just a 1/4 mile walk from the peak. So after cruising up to the parking lot, only briefly stopping to admire summit lake, i jumped out of the car and took a look at the easy 1/4 mile trail with only 140 feet of elevation. I didn't give a second thought as I walked off on my quest to the top. I think I made it 100 yards before I found myself on my ass, huffing like I had run a marathon, and wondering if I would be encased in permafrost or if Birds would eat my body first! It was the worst feeling ever...felt like I was trying to walk with cinder blocks tied to my feet. I think it took me about an hour to make it back to the car, stopping every 15-20 steps to rest. On the way back down the mountain, I stopped and walked around a few other areas, a couple only 1000 feet lower in elevation and had no problems. I guess my un-acclimated limit is somewhere around 13K.

I was only 35 and in fairly decent health when this happened. Definitely be careful with Mom. And some advice i got once i came back to town...Drink LOTS of water before you ascend. The altitude dries you out worse than a college hangover!

This is the short walk that almost did me in:

MTE-TopParkingLot-DSC08601.jpg

Re: Mea culpa

Of course the question being begged is: What has this post to do with BBQ? :lol:

First - we are not the kind of forum that sticks strictly with BBQ on each and every post - but you probably know that since you have the LOL emoticon going on. Second - It DOES have to do with BBQ! Didn't you read where Dennis has a concern over ending up in a pot!!!! :lol:8)

To avoid altitude sickness, it is the height you sleep at that determines your body's response. A conservative rule is: The first 7,000 feet are free. Sleep 1,000 higher each night to acclimate for best fitness at higher altitudes. One can slur or cheat this rule, but it's a good baseline if one has the chance to follow it.

I climbed Mt. Whitney (14,500') on a 3 day trip by the "Mountaineer's Route" a few years back. ("Class 4", not the 22 mile trail slog, but not the most technical route either.) Following the above rule, I felt great on the summit. I signed up on the spot for a similar outing. After a week at sea level, I got altitude sickness on the next trip. Sort of like the hangover from hell.

I had a great conversation once with Charlie Houston, leader of the first two American attempts on K2. He ending up hanging from the end of the most famous belay in climbing history. There are books on each of these climbs that make great reading if one is into that sort of thing. He became a doctor and the world's authority on altitude sickness. We took turns, he grilled me on the math of card shuffling (I coauthored a paper showing one should shuffle seven times) and I asked him about altitude sickness. But before this hike, I read his books.

My daughter hiked the Inca trail to Machu Pichu last year, the cure there was to chew on coca leaves, can't remember the altitude, but she was a little weary during the hike and very pleased at herself after the journey( at 20 wouldn't you be?). During our stay in ColoradoSprings a few weeks ago, while I was at BBQ-U, my wife took the Jeep to Pikes Peak, got out and walked around and nearly had a fit of vertigo! Fortunately she made it back to show me the pictures! Bring us back some recipe's Dennis! Can't wait to see some photos of you with Sai and your Mom!