Garrett

Okay...I'm in!! Just ordered a KK GenII

I went with the GEN 2.2 Ultimate 23 Matte Blue Mix. It's now enroute from So Cal to the Bay Area. I have no experience with ceramic grills and look forward to upping my BBQ game. I've been using my old faithful Weber for many years. I was leaning toward building a brick and motar pizza oven when I found the KK...glad I spent some time researchig!!!

Tony brings up a great point...what to bbq first...Hmmmmm decisions decisions...

Dennis advised me to heat the KK to a level where I can smell the acrylic solvent gassing off, but to be careful and not go too hot. I suppose I can still bbq something in the process since the gassing process is only on the outside.

Welcome

I went with the GEN 2.2 Ultimate 23 Matte Blue Mix. It's now enroute from So Cal to the Bay Area. I have no experience with ceramic grills and look forward to upping my BBQ game. I've been using my old faithful Weber for many years. I was leaning toward building a brick and motar pizza oven when I found the KK...glad I spent some time researchig!!!

Tony brings up a great point...what to bbq first...Hmmmmm decisions decisions...

Dennis advised me to heat the KK to a level where I can smell the acrylic solvent gassing off, but to be careful and not go too hot. I suppose I can still bbq something in the process since the gassing process is only on the outside.

Great choice! You will be so impressed when the KK arrives. I too used a Weber for many years. Now you are really going to cook!! I'm down in the Monterey area, let me know if I can be of any assistance. Ciao.

Re: Welcome

Great choice! You will be so impressed when the KK arrives. I too used a Weber for many years. Now you are really going to cook!! I'm down in the Monterey area, let me know if I can be of any assistance. Ciao.

There is a huge group of us going to be down there for Pebble....how about dinner for 500?

Re: Welcome

There is a huge group of us going to be down there for Pebble....how about dinner for 500?

I can handle 500 without a problem, but the Pebble crowd don't much go for "low and slow!" You hardly hear Biff say, "Please pass the brisket!" LOL

It arrived!!! I was at Costco and picked up a pork shoulder for my first cook. I put together a quick rub, assembled the KK, and fired it up. I put the shoulder on at 11pm Friday night and removed it today (Sat) around 6pm.

When I went to bed the temp was 205. When I woke up the next morning I immediately went out and found the temp to be 202. (I got some exact numbers as I was using my Thermapen. The TelTru is still on the way.) In spite of all the reading I was in fear that I'd awake to the fire being out.

I don't think I got enough smoke in the meat this round. I'll add more wood chips next time.

I think ribs next...

I tried to post some pics but received an error message that indicated that I have to post 2 legit postings over the span of 2 days...Maybe I'm doing something wrong. I'll search the forum for an answer and try again later.

Although a new member of the family, I want to join the others in welcoming you. Among the many grills I've owned over the last thirty years, there have been a few Weber kettles and a Weber gas grill. You will soon discover that no other cooker has quite prepared you for the flavor and succulence that the KK imparts to everything that it cooks. Enjoy the culinary journey. You are going to ruin yourself for going out, though. Everything will taste better at home. ;)