LarryR

Does anyone weigh their charcoal?

We were cleaning out the garage and found a brand new digital scale we had no idea we had, and it even works. First thing I think of is, "how great would it be to weigh my charcoal and time how long each weight last at a temp." How cool would that be, and the SO looks at me like I'm nutz.

Anyway, anyone do this and is anyone interested in me posting my findings? I primarily use Rancher Briquettes, Royal Oak lump and Dennis' ECC.

th_Scale1.jpg

Offended anyone... Not on this forum..

LMAO' date=' yea, may have been about me I think. In fact, I almost titled this thread "getting more anal" but I thought better of it :o Figured some might take it wrong, sorry if this offended anyone.[/quote']

Offended anyone... Not on this forum..

If this was the baking white bread from scratch forum..

They might think you're odd..

Here we think you're "Special"

;);)

Obviously' date=' I weigh the samples I use in my burntime tests.....[/quote']

Yeah, some independent confirmation is always good! :P

Actually, I would be interested in seeing the numbers, if you are going to gather the data anyway. It might not matter, since I cant get the rancher briquettes at my house (I really liked the few bags I grabbed when HD had them for $4) so it might just be more data to satisfy my curiousity. I'd also be interested in comparing your KK numbers to TNWs BGE results.

3 lbs Rancher, two cooks and leftovers

Last night I loaded Hestia with 3 lbs of Rancher. Set 5 lit coals on top and let her warm-up slowly to around 300. She was at cooking temp in about an hour. Cooked a tri-tip, then when the tri-tip was done I through about a dozen chicken thighs on and brought her up to about 350.

Total burn time from start to shutdown was about 3.5 hours. Took pictures of the fuel left this morning and if I had to guess she probably had at least 2 more hours of 330 in her. I think next time I'll just let her burn out.

th_3lbsRancher002.jpg

th_3lbsRancher003.jpg

8 lbs of Rancher 22 hr cook

Loaded Hestia with about 8 lbs of Rancher Briquettes and did two butts for 22 hours at 225, below is what I had left (currently doing a high temp chicken cook with leftovers). By the looks of it I only used about 1/2 of the fuel, maybe a little more, figure I could have gone another 20 hours. Cook was managed by Stoker.

EDIT: Just remembered I ran her the last 3 hours at 250.

post-6687-139082391672_thumb.jpg

Re: Does anyone weigh their charcoal?

Where's Syzgies???

I can't figure out for the life of me what the point is; but I'll jump in anyway! Ha!

Okay, so lets add humidity do to the equation? The charcoal/lump mass is the same, but depending on humidity could weigh more or less at any given time. And when there's additional moisture in the lump how much less efficient is it to burn, or is it??? whoo-whee..... hehe

Of course I'm a believer in keeping the charcoal basket full at all times, burn what you need, shut her down, and re-light what's left over next time. Can you tell I've calculated 5 lbs and needed 5.25 lbs before? Ha!