johnnyboy

POSK Stuck Damper Remover

It finally happened to my POSK. from Richard Johnson NOT a KOMODO KAMADO. Except this was Not an OVERTIGHTENED stuck damper, this was GUNKED UP THREADS stuck damper. I could clearly see daylight between the mating surfaces. But, as I was opening/unscrewing the damper/hat it became harder and harder to unscrew, feeling as though threads had crossthreaded themselves, trying both directions just got harder and harder, finally coming to a dead halt. I couldn't budge it. I had thought about this idea many times reading about stuck dampers, torches, high temp cooks, etc., but I never had a reason to try it. All it took was a 24" 2"X4" board, 5' of 1" strapping, and a saw. It's all about leverage. I hope the pictures speak for themselves. It really worked great.

fetch?id=67975fetch?id=67974fetch?id=67973

Re: POSK Stuck Damper Remover

Great idea. I once hurt my shoulder for months after helping a friend force his stuck K5 damper. (He didn't move with me to a KK.)

Rather important now to use a hardware store bolt and nut of the same thread, to thoroughly exercise all the threads past the wear they see in use. Keep them clean and (food-safe) oiled.

That's it; a glorified strap wrench!!! I couldn't think of the name!!

I was so darn proud of myself, how easy it was to build, and how well it worked; I just had to show it off as an alternative to heat.

Took all of 5 minutes to build using scraps laying around the garage. And it really worked great.

I wanted to use a strap wrench on my KK' date=' but the hemispherical shape of the top damper won't allow it to grip.[/quote']

That's the beauty of this tool, it's all soft material, grips an edge vers slips. To make it work required centering the strap material all the way around damper along the edge of the hemispherical circle. As the tool tightened, exerting force at a slow pace, the fabric flexed across the sharp hemispherical edge (cradleing it) thus helping keep the edge of damper centered in strap material. I wouldn't try it with a metal strap wrench for fear of chipping tile.

The force required to move stuck damper threads was not so much it would have broke ceramic. Had it felt even close I'd of fired up my Oxy/Acy torch. :wink:

Well' date=' I thought a strap wrench may or may not work, but what the hell, I'll try it.[/quote']

Just please be careful Doc. I'd hate to have something I suggested go wrong. Remember I'm using it on a POSK that already has issues, NOT one of Dennis's awesome Komodo Kamado's. You might want to check with Dennis first.

Doc,

I use the following method to remove the little accumulation on the mating surface of the damper: Right after I finish cooking, I open the damper all the way. Then, while still hot, with a glove on one hand I hold a cotton cloth against the mating surface of the damper. Now, with my other hand I turn the damper thus wiping away any accumulation. I then close the damper all the way. I haven't had any problems opening it up. Even at our temperatures which are getting below freezing.