DennisLinkletter

iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone and iPad. Now iGrill.

You’ve heard of iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone and iPad. It’s time to meet iGrill.

That’s right, iGrill.

This cooking thermometer looks well packaged and might have some potential to even someday be upgraded to a Guru-esk device.. It now looks like the best priced and best quality remote on the market.. if you have an iphone ;)

When the meat is ready, the iGrill will beep the host’s iPhone, iPad or iPod Touch via a Bluetooth connection.

The marketing pamphlet from the marker of the iGrill, says, it is “redefining how we socialize.”

I like the way they think..

I have already called too give them some new development ideas.. the easiest one is making the second sensor for the grill temp.. The big boss was at MacWorld and will call me when he gets back..

:|:|

Re: You’ve heard of iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone and iPad. It’

This may change everything. It may be the reason I start selling remote thermometers again,and finally get rid of my aging Polder devices. They were great when I first started selling them several years ago, but seem to be defect ridden and horribly inaccurate.

Re: iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone and iPad. Now iGrill.

As far as Bluetooth range is concerned, I would think the 10 meters for iPhone refers to transmission, not reception. Since Bluetooth is a radio, as long as the received signal strength meets the reception threshold, there is no inherent "range" on reception. The Bluetooth radio receiver has no idea how far away the transmitter is, it only knows how strong the received signal is. My guess is the iGrill has a powerful enough transmitter to achieve threshold reception strength at the designated 200 feet. I am not a Bluetooth expert, but I am sure there is a technical standard for Bluetooth power and range. It is a radio. I seem to recall the standard is a pretty short range. So if 200 feet exceeds the Bluetooth technical standard, maybe the iGrill folks are bending the rules on transmission power.

Here's a little insight via a quick Google search:

The following table compares the available Bluetooth power classes:

Class........Maximum Power.....Operating Range

Class 1.....100mW (20dBm)......100 meters

Class 2......2.5mW (4dBm).......10 meters

Class 3......1mW (0dBm)..........1 meter

Looks like the folks at iGrill are using a Class 1 Bluetooth radio. This is fine for this limited feature set as the iPhone merely receives the readings from the iGrill device.

I am in agreement with FM - put this product on the WiFi Network but also add the capability to tend the fire via a fan ala BBQ Guru or Stoker. The Stoker product is nice but very clunky and you have to add a WiFi Adapter for wireless. Also, I find that most hardcore Stoker fans look to Amir's program for optimal use as opposed to the packaged software. I like the BBQ Guru products, but a USB interface just does not get it done. In time, iGrill or some other company will put both Stoker and the Guru guys on notice and build what many of us have been asking for in a WiFi enabled power draft controller solution. JMHO, YMMV... ;)8)

Re: You’ve heard of iMac, iPod, iTunes, iPhone and iPad. It’

This may change everything.

I too concluded that remote thermometers were garbage; mine are long gone. I'll have to try this. I don't have an iPhone, but I do have both an iPad and an iPod Touch. The latter should be just as good as an iPhone for keeping in a shirt pocket or bed-side as a receiver.

A second pit temp would be nice, but only (for me) to back up my Guru. If the Guru does its job, the pit temp should be as expected; the meat's the wild card. However, their web site describes a second probe. As we know, measuring over 400 F requires a different probe design, anyway. For a low & slow cook (my main candidate for bothering with remote sensing) it sounds like one could use their existing second probe (ordered separately) as a pit probe?

The AW-131 Oregon Scientific does work quite well as a remote thermometer, with a good range. The Maverick is not so reliable for longer ranges. I have never been able to figure out how to use my Guru nor Stoker wirelessly although both have that functionality. I agree someone needs to come with a dead simple plug and play remote thermometer that just fires right in to your home wireless network with no futzing around with IP what the hells and domain this and that and whatever all that network sh.t is. You shouldn't have to be a freakin' computer dork to make this stuff work!

I purchased the IGRILL and it came in a few days ago while I await my new KK!! I will update you guys on how it performs.. Just playing around with the settings it seems to be pretty straight forward and user friendly..

The AW-131 Oregon Scientific does work quite well as a remote thermometer' date=' with a good range[/quote']

Grill Right Wireless Talking BBQ/Oven Thermometer

Manual for AW131/BLRR TALKING BBQ THERMO

TRANSMITTER DATA TRANSMISSION

Place the transmitter within 100 m (330 ft) of the main unit. The sensor reception icon shows the status.

MANUALLY SET TARGET TEMPERATURE

1. Insert the probe into the meat as shown above

2. Press and hold MODE to select manual target temperature mode. When in this mode, the meat icons

will disappear.

3. Press MEAT / UP and COOK / DOWN to select your

desired temperature.

4. Your target temperature will appear on the LCD

screen. Begin cooking.

5. The cooking alerts will sound as described above. 6. Press any button to silence the alert.

VOLUME

Slide HI / LO switch to select the speaker volume level.

$37.29 & eligible for free shipping with Amazon Prime

When you turn on the units, if they do not talk to each other, you have to press the reset buttons on BOTH THE PROBE AND THE MAIN UNIT.

The claimed range is impressive. One has to get past the "which meat sir?" dunce mode to see a temperature. Apparently, no way to turn off the sound, short of going in and clipping a wire.

Still, looks good if the range is for real.

I agree someone needs to come with a dead simple plug and play remote thermometer that just fires right in to your home wireless network with no futzing around with IP what the hells

If $30 home router is capable of hosting a web page for setting preferences and displaying information, any device can do this. Once set up, dyndns.com offers a mechanism for naming this web page, so you can find it again wirelessly. Were it me, I'd sell it with a starter web site domain name and password, so it only needed a wireless interface.

Or all it has to do is have a mode for displaying its IP address assigned by your DHCP router, once. Modern routers assign persistent addresses, which one can bookmark forever, by default; typing in numbers rather than letters isn't rocket science.

I have a remote power switch which uses dyndns.com; I use it to turn on a computer from the other coast. Still, all printers these days host a "settings" web page, but try finding a printer smart enough to offer dyndns.com! The idea isn't pervasive, yet.