Breech

KK question

When watching the videos with that Rick Ault on the 3rd video when he is cooking the steak and scallops he has to move the scallops into the middle directly over the flame to finish them up quicker. When cooking on the KK direct, does the charcoal basket keep the direct heat confined so that the food needs to be directly over the middle of the basket and food around the outside of the cooking grate will take a long time?

Re: KK question Here are some photos of the charcoal basket and the lower grill installed. As you can see there is not much room between the charcoal and the wall of the grill. Airflow from the front draft door can make some areas hotter than others especially if you are using small pieces of charcoal.. You can open the rear gas door to balance out the airflow for high temp grilling if you need a larger uniform cooking area. I never do.. in fact I like having a cooler area to hold meat while I'm searing other pieces at high temps. n66890 n66889

post-6370-139082395169_thumb.jpg

post-6370-139082395173_thumb.jpg

Re: KK question

Yeah, I had to move those scallops in a bit more, not because they werent cooking fine (they were cooked fine), but to quickly brown them a little. You have to consider how we were cooking that morning. We wanted a hot, fast cook to do some quick grilling, so the grill itself did not get heat soaked. This means we had a bunch of heat directly above the fire, but not a lot radiating off the side walls yet.

So I think the answer to your question is both yes and no. There can be a difference, under some circumstances, and to me this is a good thing. It is nice to have some variance, to shuffle things in or out of the hot zone - when someone wants their steak cooked to a higher temp, for example, you might spend longer at the moderate temps to not burn the crust. But that variance gets smaller as you move to more of a roasting or low/slow situation, since the walls of the grill and the fire all try to equalize to the same temps given enough time.

My regular steak routine, has me cooking baked potatoes for about 45 minutes before opening up the fire to sear the steaks. This means the interior walls of the grill are pretty close to the 400 degrees I have been using for the spuds. When I open up the airflow to sear, I have to put the potatoes all the way up against the back corners, away from the fire to keep them from scorching. And in this case, the flame temp when searing would have been a few hundred degrees higher too since it would have been an hour old fire at that point - that video was filmed fairly quickly on a Saturday morning. I am usually more leisurely when I am making meals, and do sides as well - another reason a little variance can be a feature.

My best advice, go visit a KK in your area. I am happy to show mine anytime, and with a day or two notcie I will even cook or let you try cooking on it. Most forum regulars are happy to do the same. I visited a local owner before I opened my wallet - In fact, if you search my posts and look back when I first joined, I was the worlds biggest skeptic! I was waiting for Dennis to ban me because I had a different model of ceramic grill before this one, and lets just say it was not a happy experience. I did some serious due diligence before buying.

Re: KK question

I considered deleting it this am...which I can do' date=' but left it figuring someone who could ban the ip (which i cant do)would come along.[/quote']

Done! Banned and deleted. Man, that flagging makes it stand out well. The post was bright pink....kinda like FM's old grill. :D

-=J