slu

Ribs and Pork Belly

Fired up the KK yesterday at 1100. Beef back ribs went on at 1200. Removed at 1830 hours. Cook time was 6 1/2 hours at 220. Pork belly went in at 1830 and removed the next morning at 0730 hours. I used 7 rods of extruded coconut and a small portion of hickory charcoal. The KK held temperature perfectly: it was 220 when I went to bed, and 220 when I looked at it this morning. I'm guessing I could have cooked another 20 hours. fetch?id=68379fetch?id=68380fetch?id=68381fetch?id=68382fetch?id=68383

Re: Ribs and Pork Belly

Great pictures slu. Food looks great. Your second sentence brings up something I keep forgetting, especially when we have friends over: you have to get the charcoal up and running a good hour before cooking to get up to a constant temperature. I'm still conditioned to the inefficient old bucket styled charcoal BBQ's where you're lucky to get an hours heat out of them :)

Mark,

I normally heat sink the unit; however for just a simple grill one need not heat the KK too much in advance. I just dump 1/4 of a chimney starter, fully ignited, into the KK. Then I heat the sear grill and go at it!

Peter

Mark,

I normally heat sink the unit; however for just a simple grill one need not heat the KK too much in advance. I just dump 1/4 of a chimney starter, fully ignited, into the KK. Then I heat the sear grill and go at it!

Peter

Is that dumping 1/4 chimney starter into a full fire pit?

I picked up some,hopefully, meaty beef ribs from Restaurant Depot. I want to cook them tomorrow. How much time do I need to figure in cooking these, from lighting the KK to taking them off ? I guess I could go for 220 - 250. From Slu's pictures, was that all the Charcoal he used ? I have not used the Coconut Charcoal yet. I have concerns it would take long to light. What wood did you use for smoke ?

Thanks.

Beef ribs at 220 will take 6 -7 hours, depending on how you prefer them, i.e., do you want them to stay on the bone or fall off? I heat sink my KK for an hour at the desired cooking temperature. If you click on the picture, you will see that the base layer is extruded coconut, and the top layer consists of some hickory lump. No wood was used for smoke flavor; all "smoke" was derived from the charcoal. So figure 8 hours from start to finish. The ECC is easy to ignite. You can either start it in a chimney with a few briquettes underneath it, or make a well in your charcoal basket (see the pic) with the ECC, and pour in a few ignited briquettes to get it going.

You brought up the On-the-Bone and Fall-off the Bone. We are On the Bone people. So my question is at what point do the Ribs come off ? I seem to go too far when I try something new and my wife doesn't let me forget it. LOL.

Also, as to the charcoal, seems like you didn't fill up the Charcoal Basket all the way. Did you break up the Coconut Charcoal or keep it whole ? I do have some Oak Lump Charcoal I can use along with the CC. So I won't have to add any additional wood Chunks.

Thank you for your help.

The ECC is broken into 1/3s and set on end. Elsewhere on this forum is a discussion of when ribs are "done." To summarize there seems to be two rules of thumb: One, When the meat begins to recede from the end of the bone about 1/8" to 1/4". The second, when you grab the rack of ribs with a set of tongs, and can twist them about 1/4 turn without the bones tearing away, then they are done. My suggestion is to cook a couple of racks, and experiment a bit. That, or cook ribs each day until you find that magic spot!

The nice thing about cooking on the KK is that there is another day to cook on it, even if the last cook was an "experiment". My Ribs were just o.k., if I want to be nice. For my liking, 6 hours is too long. The Ribs had a lot of meat. I put way too much Rub on the Slab of Ribs. I didn't like the recipe I found on the internet, too much onion powder and salt. Next time I will add a couple chunks of Cherry or Hickory. There was no smoke flavor on the ribs.

I guess the cook was going the way it did when I accidently put Byron's Butt Rub in my oatmeal. LOL

Like I say, there is always next time.

Thank you for all the advice.

My wife's 2nd favorite KK cook is Beef Ribs. First being pulled pork, with the Chris Lilly Championship rub. Today i did the Beef Ribs.

I cooked for 2 1/2 hours, temp at 300 indirect... I did not use the Stone itself, rather just the pan the deflector stones came in. I used the small pan. I lined the pan with foil for easy clean up, and then filled the pan with water. In the past, I used 1/2 water and 1/2 apple juice. The liquid is " theoretically" for 'steam' and moisture. Some would say you don't need the added moisture due to the efficiencies of the KK.

However, it seems to work fine for me.

2 1/2 hours , Indirect pan with water, and 300 pit temp is what i have ended up settling on. There are many many other variations of heat and time I am sure. I like 2 1/2 hours since it does not take all that long. When i take them off, I do foil them and let rest for at least 45 - 60 minutes. When we eat them they are very tender, moist, and don't fall off the bone....but do separate quite nicely from it. Generally, the bottom half of the bones (thinner section of bone) will be very clean.

I have cooked longer and at lower temps and felt this was not necessary for the way we like them.

We used a mild dry rub....Spade L Beef Rub if interested. It has lots of Brown Sugar in the mixture. WE LOVE it . It is made in either Selma or Sanger, California. They sell it over the internet. Just recently, it got picked up at our local Save Mart Grocery store. Of course it is the Beef Rub....as they also have it for Pork, Chicken , Fish... I actually like the Pork Rub too and will usually use this with pork ribs.

As for wet sauce, i don't put any on it during the cook or at the end. Wife likes the taste with just the Rub...actually i do too. Generally, the more sauce the better for me....but with Spade L Beef, i use wet sauce sparingly and on the side, occasionally dipping the bone in the sauce.

Anyway, keep at it. Almost all mistakes still taste pretty good on the KK.

MadMedik

Gary, I cooked some ribs and here is how I did it. I'm on the iPad and my pictures are on the cell phone so pictures will follow. This recommendation is for cooking baby-back ribs.

Set KK to 275 for the entire cook. Use indirect heat as well and add two or three chunks of wood right before adding ribs to KK. Add you favorite rub and place ribs on KK for 2 hours. Pull ribs and place on foil. Add 4 small slices of butter across the top of the ribs, then sprinkle brown sugar all over, and then drizzle some honey over the ribs and foil. I recommend double foil. Put ribs back on KK for 1 hour meat side down. After hour pull ribs from foil. I like to add my favorite BBQ sauce and then place ribs back on grill, meat side up, for 30 to 40 min and your ribs should be ready to pull and enjoy.

This is a great way to cook ribs and save precious time without sacrificing any taste.

Total cook time is 3 hours & roughly 30 minutes. Give it a shot and let me know how you like it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD