MadMedik

Did a Brisket today due to LarryR Video Inspiration

Well, I did a Beef Brisket on Sunday. This is the first time I have done this. I was inspired by LarryR's video this past week and along with Doc Mguerra telling me I am not using KK to its fullest potential...Well, here is how it went: Here are Pre-Rub and Post Rub Pics: (see some video shots further down) fetch?id=68564fetch?id=68565 I used the same rub that Larry suggested...the Cardamon/Coffee rub. I have never had this before and it was very tasty. I would definitely use this rub again My Brisket was small....6.11 pounds is all. The time guidelines i found online based on 12 to 13 packer briskets were a bit long due to size differences. I put the Brisket on at 12:15.....took it off at 4:00 pm... so 3 hours and 45 minutes total cook. I did as everyone suggests...cook to internal temp at 170 degrees. My pit temp was close to 300 for first 30 or 40 minutes, then settled around 350 most of the cook. At 1:45 the internal temp of brisket was 170 degrees...so 1 hour and 30 minutes in to the cook. I then put it in a foil pan and continued the cook. At about 2:50 i probed for doneness. Felt relatively firm, nothing like probe through butter so i kept going. At 3:40, probing indicated it was quite soft. I hind site I think i should have pulled it ....it was not quite a "soft" further up the flat in thicker areas.....Only 20 minutes later, at 4:00pm, I probed it again and it felt very soft. My family was coming over at 5:00 pm, so i pulled off the Tip and put the flat in foil to rest for the next hour...til 5:00. I took the Tip back out to grill, and put directly on the grill...still had indirect setup , but i put it down, "freshly exposed fat" down. I let t his cook another hour and pulled it off when my family arrived. Results: The TIP was very tasty and I can see why lots of people like this part. The flat cut appeared to be very much like larry R's video. I did not really 'cut' the flat...more like pressed down and through and it just came apart. Pieces of meat easily pulled apart in my hands. The Flat too was very tasty. The extra drippings in the foil pan went nicely back over the meat. It made for a tasty meal. The flat pieces may have been a little bit dry....not sure. I have had dry meat before, and this was not bad, but as easy as it pulled i thought it should be a bit more moist. Still good, but I have nothing to compare it to as I have never done this before. Most DEFINITELY I will do this again. I will hunt down a bigger Brisket.....go for the 12 pounder....or so, and see how that goes Other than not knowing what i was doing really, I thought cook went well. Very easy to prepare, cook, and prep for eating. Not too labor intensive. I have attached a small video of just the opening from foil and cutting....it is not a how to video at all, but I wanted Doc and Larry to see how it looked just before consuming.... See link just below for quick view of my cook. (This is not a How to Video)

Larry, thanks for the inspiration , and Doc for the encouragement. I would recommend this cook to any one interested in trying something different. It is NOT A TRI TIP COOK, as the process and texture and taste were all different.....so if you have thought..."I do tri tip, don't need to do brisket" then you should change that mind set and give it a try. Follow the threads on Brisket Cooking in LarryR's post. They were very informative. Thanks for checking this out. MadMedik

Re: Did a Brisket today due to LarryR Video Inspiration

Absolutely.. a brisket has a flavor and texture all of it's own. When you nail them they are always crowd pleasers.

I make a brisket sandwich with caramelized onions that can make a grown man fry. I often hide the blackened tip with it's chewy French's mustard bark from guests.. so I can have it all for myself.

What they don't know won't hurt them!

;);)

Re: Did a Brisket today due to LarryR Video Inspiration

A 12" Cimeter knife by Forschner. Yeah, rather large. My wife refuses to clean or handle it. I'd did over would go with 8 or 10 inch. I saw a video with Chris Lilly chopping up pulled pork using something like this. Thought it was bad ass!

http://www.amazon.com/Forschner-12-Cime ... eter+Knife