MadMedik

Would you buy a used BGE XL for $700 ?

Hello,

I love my KK. Don't want to replace it. But, I have a friend selling a XL BGR for $700, with almost all the accessories, and just shy of only 1 year old? I could use it at a 2nd home. Would only occasionally get used. Would you do it? Would I be disappointed with it, comparing it to a KK?

MadMedik

Re: Would you buy a used BGE XL for $700 ?

I would buy it. If you like cooking on a Kamado, especially the KK, the BGE will do just fine for your 2nd home. I bought my BGE XL 3 years ago and I use it when I need the extra cooking space. It works like a charm. You might need some accessories for it, like when you want to raise the grill. Check out Ceramic Grill Store website.

$700 is a very good price. Also, go to greeneggers.com and check out the Forum. Very informative.

I wouldn't... If you are thinking about a second cooker for a second home, I'm guessing a second KK wouldn't break the bank, and you'd have a superior cooker that looks a hell of a lot nicer. My wife and I can't get past the GREEN stucco look of the big green egg. I won't argue, the BGE can cook a fine meal, but why bring down the property value of home #2, when you could imrove its curb appeal with another KK? I'm just sayin'!!!

I just sent the molds for both the 32" and portable to get the last tweek.. I've redesigned the interlocking lip so that the lower flat surface next to the 45º section that holds the gasket is no longer flat.. both it and the upper lip are now have a few degrees downward slope.. this will prevent water from the lid from entering the lip and prevent water from pooling/sitting on the lip.. in a freeze zone this is especially important. When the molds are back we will begin casting for production.. I have the metal work for 15 - 32" grills and 35 portables ordered..

;);)

For $700 it's a good deal. With all those accessories you

can't go wrong. I don't know how much time you spend at

the 2nd house. I do know a lot of people on both EGG Forums

Would jump on it. BGEs go really fast when they are on Craig's

List. And the green isn't all that bad and it isn't "stucco".

I wouldn't... If you are thinking about a second cooker for a second home' date=' I'm guessing a second KK wouldn't break the bank, and you'd have a superior cooker that looks a hell of a lot nicer. My wife and I can't get past the GREEN stucco look of the big green egg. I won't argue, the BGE can cook a fine meal, but why bring down the property value of home #2, when you could imrove its curb appeal with another KK? I'm just sayin'!!![/quote']

I have to strongly agree with Cookie on this. If the budget doesn't allow for another KK, then fine, get the cheaper inferior BGE product--better a kamado style than a gasser, Weber, etc. But I think most KK owners not only appreciate the overall superiority of their investment, they feel good every time they look at and use their KK--I do, anyway. That's worth a decent amount to me. If I were in your shoes and bought the BGE, every time I used it I think I would be making negative comparisons to my KK instead of enjoying the cook. Just my $.02

I would agree that the KK is top of the line in Kamados. I love mine and use it as my primary cooker.

However, as I stated in a previous post on this topic, I felt at $700 for an XL BGE was a steal.

There is nothing wrong with owning a BGE as in any other Kamado. Yes the KK is superiorly built compared

to other Kamados but there is nothing wrong with owning a BGE yet alone to use as a second cooker. Besides,

BGE does make besides the XL, a Large, a Medium, a Small, and a Mini.

It's nice to have extra space when you need it and I have.