talisker63

Christmas Pork

Ok, need your help here.

I am tasked with cooking roast pork in the Kamado and it must

1. Not be dry

2. Must have crackle, that is crispy skin

There will be about 12 people biput we are very happy with left overs as they will be eaten next day without doubt as I have a hoard of teenagers coming around.

Questions are;

What cut of port will be best?

How shall I cook it, if I go low/slow then there will be no crackle! Which is seen as being a Christmas disaster.

If I go high and fast then it may dry out.

In the indoor oven I would usually do 30mins on very high to crackle the skin and then drop down to a lower temp for around 30mins per pound. But I can't do that in the Kamado as I would be able to drop the temp fast enough.

I was thinking about crackling the skin in the indoor oven and then fishing low/slow in the Kamado! But it seems a bit of a cop out...

Any suggestions? Or has anyone actually done roast pork in the Kamado?

Thanks

Andrew

Re: Christmas Pork

I have not done this so don't count on my advice; however there is a lot of talk on the forum about a reverse sear they do this with steaks all the time. I guess it would work with pork..

cook the pork low and slow and then at the end crank up the heat to get your crackle....

I too am a Macallan guy myself. Another option for roast pork is Pernil. Pork shoulder marinaded then cooked over indirect high heat. You remove it around 172 if memory serves me correctly and slice it vs. pull. I usually do one around the holidays. fetch?id=67363fetch?id=67364 ] fetch?id=67365fetch?id=67366

post-6687-139082403592_thumb.jpg

post-6687-139082403596_thumb.jpg

post-6687-139082403599_thumb.jpg

post-6687-139082403602_thumb.jpg

Another single malt fan here. I was schooled by a buddy who was stationed in Scotland in the Navy.

My fav is Bruichladdich (kind of hard to find some places). Partial to most Islays - Bunnahabhain, Bowmore, Lagavulin, as well as Speysides - Craigganmore (had some after dinner last evening!), Balvenie, Macallan.

I think Santa is bringing me three vintages of Pappy Van Winkle for Christmas (no it isn't Scotch, and while I have many bottles, my KY heritage takes over during the holidays and I go for bourbon). I have yet to decide on what cut of meat will be worthy...

Yeah,Patron comes from Jalisco,Scotland. It's down south.

Talisker 63 is drinking Dalwhinnie? Be true to yer handle,man!

(Talisker IS good stuff!)

I have a serious drinking problem-what I want to drink costs too much!

(Lagavulin is freakin' $90 a fifth)

I've been diggin Bulleit's 95% rye (look for the green label)

dub(t'ain't bourbon)

Patron is OK, but there is better out there. Don Julio 1942, a little over $100./ bottle is superb. Don Julio Real, about $350. / bottle even more so. At these prices I drink about one bottle a year of the 1942, I try to get a few years out of the Real, only on an occasion when I can truly savor and enjoy the experience. For a go to tequila, Don Julio and Patron have some much more reasonably priced options.

If you want an awesome spirits glass, the smallest Reidel O is a true pleasure in hand and on the nose. Unlike a Glencairn, it is ultralight and delicate, feels fabulous in your hand. Sometimes I set one on the counter and just look at it!

http://www.amazon.com/Riedel-Spirit-Spi ... OTJVFQA0IN