MadMedik

Ribeye Roast cook

Re: Ribeye Roast cook

Sounds great, pity there is no money shot. Maybe it never happened ;-)

Beef and red wine made for each other. What are popovers?

Cheers

Basic Popover

Add Timer

Ingredients

2 tablespoon unsalted butter, melted and cooled, plus 1 teaspoon room temperature for pan

4 3/4 ounces all-purpose flour, approximately 1 cup

1 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt

2 large eggs, room temperature

1 cup whole milk, room temperature

Directions

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Grease a 6-cup popover pan with the 1 teaspoon of butter.

Place all of the ingredients into a food processor or blender and process for 30 seconds. Divide the batter evenly between the cups of the popover pan, each should be about 1/3 to 1/2 full. Bake on the middle rack of the oven for 40 minutes. Remove the popovers to a cooling rack and pierce each in the top with a knife to allow steam to escape. Serve warm.

Did your roast cook take two hours or less?

Last night we went to our friends who don't start cooking til you get there. So we spent plenty of time enjoying the wine, Dalmore, and the French, Italian and Dutch cheese/salami pairings. Our host cooked bison tenderloin on the gasser, that was pretty bland but OK. The tenderloin on the KK with hickory smoke we had on Christmas Eve was over the top awesome. I have been trying for three years to get my friend to convert to KK from his Ducane gasser.

Anyway the Dalmore was the most luscious scotch imaginable, it was their Bordeaux expression, aged in three types of barrels for 30 plus years. The hostess whipped up lovely roasted eggplant slices with goat cheese, olive oil and herbs; and a splendid arugula and fennel salad. One of the guests was pressed in to service to stir the risotto for 45 minutes, his effort was well worth me standing there watching him do it! Penny made an apple cake with toffee sauce and whipped cream for a finale. The host and hostess presented me with a Christmas gift of Tobermory scotch which we sampled to great satisfaction!

All in all a super New Years Eve.

fetch?id=67380fetch?id=67381fetch?id=67382fetch?id=67383 Re: Ribeye Roast cook

Below are some pics of my husband's birthday dinner, which is also New Year's Eve, with a 2 bone standing rib roast. It was 4.6 lbs and I did the Molly Stevens high temp method which is to cook it the whole time at 450 and pull at 115. I started it on the KK but finished it in the oven because I was having trouble keeping the temp up after I loaded the roast on the grill. I think my charcoal was compromised by being outside in a plastic bin for a couple of months. It was cold and icy on my patio and starting to get dark so I decided to bail after about 20 minutes. It came out pretty good but I need to tweak it a little bit. We loved the well done inch or so rim of the roast but the interior wasn't as rare as we would have liked. I was hoping for mk1's degree of doneness shown above which he also pulled at 115. I think the main difference is that cooking at the high temperature caused more carryover cooking than his cook at 325. So next time I'm going to go with the 450 temp to get the variation in the degree of doneness around the edge where its fatty and crispy and highly seasoned but pull at 110 for a rare center. I have no idea why this roast has such a rosy hue. I seasoned it very simply with olive oil, salt and pepper and didn't use any smoke wood in the KK for the time it was there. I was also concerned that the high temp would burn the drippings I wanted for the Yorkshire Pudding so I had my mushroom butter ready just in case. As you can see, the drippings were fine.

post-6735-139082403723_thumb.jpg

post-6735-139082403731_thumb.jpg

post-6735-139082403739_thumb.jpg

post-6735-139082403747_thumb.jpg

Tell me about the deviled bones?

These bones were rubbed with a cut clove of garlic, sprinkled with worcestershire sauce, spread with Dijon mustard, rolled in panko crumbs, sprinkled with olive oil and baked at 400 for about a half hour. I got to have both of them since my husband doesn't do bones. They were fantastic but very, very rich. I will definitely do them again.

At 450, was that direct or indirect ? To get more Rare why not pull Rib Roast

at 105-110. What kind of charcoal did you use ?

It looks good and the Yorkshire Pudding looks wonderful.

Eggary: I did it indirect with the KK shaped heat deflector. The only cooks I've done on the KK in the past couple of months were my Thanksgiving turkey, tenderloins for my sister's party and this rib roast and I was on the tail end of a bag of Royal Oak charcoal I opened for the turkey. It's been outside in a bin subject to the elements for a while and I wasn't inclined to play around with it in the darkness with the icy conditions. I probably just had some small damp pieces in there since I normally don't have any problem with KK temps.

That Yorkshire Pudding was the biggest stroke of beginner's luck I've had in ages. It was the first time I made it but I spent several hours reading recipes and tips about it beforehand so I had a definite plan going in. After it was in the oven for a while I glanced in the window and all I could see was a wall of brown crust. My picture doesn't do any justice to the height of the rim. My husband was very impressed!! Here is my concocted recipe if anyone wants to try it.

3 eggs at room temp

1 scant cup flour, sifted

1 scant cup milk at room temp (I forgot to buy whole milk so I used 2% plus a splash of heavy cream)

1/2 t salt

Drippings from the roast. Most of the recipes called for 1/4 cup but I used all the drippings since I cooked the roast in the same pan and didn't want to deal with measuring hot grease.

Beat the eggs with a whisk. Combine the flour and salt and whisk in the milk. Whisk in the beaten eggs. Rest at room temp for at least an hour. Whisk again just before baking. Heat pan with drippings in preheated 450 oven until hot. Add batter to hot pan and put back in oven. Bake 15-20 min without opening the door. This was very convenient for me since I was already cooking the roast at 450.

Note: It appears to be important that you use an appropriately sized pan for the pudding recipe. This one works with a 9 or 10" pie tin or 8x8 or 9x9 square pan. If you are using something larger such as a a 9x13 roasting pan, you need more ingredients. If you do a google search for Yorkshire Pudding with the size of your pan, you will get the ingredients for the right volume of batter.

I can't wait to make this whole menu again - probably for Valentine's Day. I will pull the roast at 110 and see what happens.

Tell me about the deviled bones?

These bones were rubbed with a cut clove of garlic, sprinkled with worcestershire sauce, spread with Dijon mustard, rolled in panko crumbs, sprinkled with olive oil and baked at 400 for about a half hour. I got to have both of them since my husband doesn't do bones. They were fantastic but very, very rich. I will definitely do them again.

I am all over that!

fetch?id=67425fetch?id=67426fetch?id=67427 Re: Ribeye Roast cook 4 bone, 7 pound roast@250 for about 4 hours after a hot frying pan sear on each side. Pulled at 117.Then 30 minute rest. 2 chunks of peach wood. Salt pepper olive oil with garlic mince inserted into center every 3/4 inch

post-7115-139082404511_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082404519_thumb.jpg

post-7115-139082404527_thumb.jpg

4 bone, 7 pound roast@250 for about 4 hours after a hot frying pan sear on each side. Pulled at 117.Then 30 minute rest.

2 chunks of peach wood.

Salt pepper olive oil with garlic mince inserted into center every 3/4 inch

That is a thing of beauty! I'll be making my own attempt today... I've invited guests over, so we dine like kings or go to burger king! (just kidding - I would not subject our guests to BK).

Does any one have any thoughts on cooking lower than 250 for a lower and slower cook? Will the meat dry out? I was thinking of a five or six hour cook at 200 and pulling the roast at 115~120...

I'm a day late with this comment, but a rib roast does not need a low and slow. You can cook it fairly quickly, indirect, and get a super result. Anywhere from 250 to 400 fire temp will work. Just cook it to your desired finish temp. A rib roast is a spectacular cook on the KK, your guests will think you are a chef genius. It's a fairly tender cut so does not require a prolonged cook to tenderize it. The longer it's in there the drier it gets.

Thank you!

I cooked it at 250 and pulled it at 109, wrapped it n' stuck it in a cooler for 90min and then served it to a hungry crowd. And yes - they did think that I was Chef Genius. And I am - cause I bought a KK and read the advice you kind folks post here. ;-)