tlinder

KK survival in harsh weather conditions

What tipps do you have for a happy life with my KK in this harsh weather conditions we have in Switzerland.

We have really lots of rain and in winter sometimes for several weeks temperatures of 15 to 0 degrees fahrenheit.

I would really like to use the grill also regularly in winter. Are there special precautions to take if it is so cold?

What products do you use for grout sealing?

i can't reply regarding sealing/grout, etc. i am a "textured" man. however, i will let you know that you CAN cook in any temp with these cookers. my old mexi-K would chug along all night low n slow on 5# of lump in below 0 temps. ice would be forming everywhere except the upper draft, and i'd open that dome to check stuff; boy does BBQ smell great in the COLD AIR!!

you'll be cooking year round sir! i look forward to your first overnite discovery!

I think Dennis is sealing the grout before it leaves the factory now; have to check with him and see for sure. It might not be a bad safety precaution though, to have a cover just for those long winter periods. Sanny posted some info in "her first cook" thread as to who could make it for you.

-=Jasen=-

I'm also curious about some suggestions for cleaning the lime scale off the tiles. Last winter was particularly moist up here in the Pacific Northwest and every time I fired up the KK I was greeted with hissing from the grout at the steam was released. Now I have the lime scale buildup in a few locations and want to clean it up before I seal the grout for winter. Any ideas on a good, safe cleaner for the tiles?

I'm also curious about some suggestions for cleaning the lime scale off the tiles. Last winter was particularly moist up here in the Pacific Northwest and every time I fired up the KK I was greeted with hissing from the grout at the steam was released. Now I have the lime scale buildup in a few locations and want to clean it up before I seal the grout for winter. Any ideas on a good' date=' safe cleaner for the tiles?[/quote']

Your local hardware store should carry a tile and grout cleaner in the same area as the grout sealer.

-=Jasen=-

Re: Cover it!

I ive in Maryland where we get all 4 seasons. Even though you seal it I would get a cover made. I had one made by Koveroos http://www.koverroos.com but I think Sanny had one made by Steve and it is beautiful!

John

Thank you for this info. The only problem is, that it is always damn expensive to get such stuff shipped to Europe. Does anyone know if the biggest Weber-Grill cover would fit the KK Classic???

Thank you

Tobias

Re: Cover it!

I ive in Maryland where we get all 4 seasons. Even though you seal it I would get a cover made. I had one made by Koveroos http://www.koverroos.com but I think Sanny had one made by Steve and it is beautiful!

John

Yup, mine is beautiful. Thanks, John, for the compliment. And it's all weather safe Sunbrella fabric, and doesn't look like the Klan is holding a rally on the back porch. But it's made by John at [email protected], not Steve. :)

My concern with leaving a cooker uncovered in any but the driest climates is the damp and wet that would get in the grout. Even if the tiles are well applied (and we can assume they are), the freeze/thaw/wet will eventually take a toll on either the tiles or grout. It's the nature of weather, no? I'd use the cooker for a bit, seal the grout, then make sure to have a cover on it. Why spend so much on a cooker (even more on yours, what with all the added charges), and then let weather spoil it, when you could cover it? :(

Shoot, until you found a more permanent solution, maybe a large lawn/leaf garbage bag over it would work. Those are often kinda big.