normstar

Steak Tips

Hi all, Last night I cooked a 2lb Wagyu Tri-tip and a 16oz prime NY - pic is below, sorry I didnt get an After pic due to wine and company! My setup was the basket splitter installed and full of Cocochar (6-7 pieces split in half). KK was heat soaked at about 350-400, then before putting in the steaks I raised it to 500 or slightly higher. I seared Tri-tip 3 mins per side ten moved to the indirect side; after a while I did the same for the NY. Lid was diwn during cooking. My question is: while monitoring the steaks they both seemed very Rare, perhaps just below the rare point and I was afraid to pull them off since we had guests over and dust want them "too rare." So I closed the lid and then, only 2 minutes later, they felt Medium-Rare Plus! Measured about 130 on the thermapen. After the rest there were some medium-rare pieces, but most of it was medium to medium-well - overcooked! Is the KK so efficient that it just cooks beef faster? I haven't had this happen with other proteins as of yet. I usually cook by feel, and I knew I should have pulled them at the "too rare" point but I second guessed myself with the thermapen since I'm still learning the KK. I've read all about the reverse-sear method, but I prefer searing first - at least for now. Was I cooking too hot at 500-550 degrees, or once beef gets to around 115 degrees does it cook faster in the KK? Appreciate any and all tips!

fetch?id=74634

Re: Steak Tips

Normstar: I stopped cooking steaks 20 oz and less to Thermapen temps after having your experience many times. I think the problem is that the super high heat causes the internal temp of the steak to rise very quickly. I do them over 1/4 basket lump with the sear kit, charcoal mounded high, on the low handles of the sear grill so the steak is just inches over the hot coals. I bring the KK up to 425 ish dome, knowing its way hotter down where I'm cooking, throw on the steaks, close the lid and, depending on the size of the steak, I know in 2 to 2.5 min per side, depending on whether it is more like 14 oz or 20 oz, it will be done perfectly. And if I leave the steaks down there another 30 seconds, they will be overdone. The temp with the Thermapen at this point is probably around 115 but if you check it again in 30 sec, it will be more like 130 and after you remove the steaks, the temp will continue to rise during the rest. There is nothing worse than looking forward to a beautiful steak and overcooking it. Even though this system sounds kind of half a$$ed, its very reliable for me. If I ever brought my KK up to 600 or 700 degrees with this technique, my steaks would be incinerated!!

If you don't mind your steak being evenly cooked throughout, cook it high up on the main grill, it increases in internal temperature much slower than cooking it right down low over the coals. I keep a remote thermometer probe in it all the time to monitor its progress. Either the Stoker, Maverick, or Oregon Scientific. Once it is within a few degrees of my done temp, I check it with a Thermapen to verify the remote. Cooked up high, it doesn't speed through rare to medium to well done in mere moments. And you get a little more smoke on it, if you like that.

Thanks Loquitor! I think you're right, the intense heat of the lower sear grill must make the steak surface so incredibly hot that it continues cooking rapidly even after removed from the grill. Even though I moved the steak to the other side away from the coals, the residual heat from the sear combined with the 500-degree KK caused it to cook very quick. And 2 minutes in that environment, as I now know, is a lifetime!

Mguerra: Do you still get a nice crust/sear that way, cooking on the main grate? Im assuming your cooking direct heat the entire time as well?

I'm right there with the simple method. I get my grill much hotter, 800 deg. +\-, use the lower grill, and cook for time. 2 1/2 minutes per side lid down, 30 seconds per side lid open. The lid open really gives the char that I love. This gives me a beautiful medium rare on 1 1/2" thick ribeyes. The timing method has worked for me with steaks for a very long time, so I think I'll stick with it!

Robert

Those look great Loq! Med-Rare and very uniformly cooked and the outside edges are not overly cooked either. The reason I gravitate to the ultra-hot lower sear grill method is my pre-KK steak technique was a crazy hot cast-iron skillet finished in the oven, and the hot skillet combined with a little fat (olive oil and/or butter) gave the steaks a very nice crust.

Id like to get a nice crust on my steak in the KK, perhaps ill try the middle or main grate next time for constant direct heat and will add some oil to the meat before it goes on. I've seen recipes where they constantly baste the steak in butter but I want to refrains from opening the lid too much.

Norm, I don't get any crust or sear at all this way. But if I wanted it I would do a reverse sear. Cooking up high gets a very even doneness throughout, like a sous vide. Some people don't want that, they like a more charry outside and a more rare inside.

You know, you can put a cast iron vessel in the KK and actually do the sear in it. In fact, consider this: Use a cast iron vessel as a heat deflector, cook your steaks up high, indirect, to within a few degrees of finish temp. Throw some bacon fat, olive oil, or whatever in the cast iron, toss the steaks in there for a quick sear. I just thought of that.

Some good ideas here. I happened to do the cross hatch grill marks on these particular steaks turning them quickly after 1 min per side but, to be honest, I generally don't bother. Its interesting to hear how to do the thick steaks. My husband, for no rational reason, doesn't like a large steak carved for two - he prefers his own steak. So I'm usually not making anything more than 20 oz max and more like 14 - 16 oz. I appreciate the theory of the reverse sear and know many people swear buy it haven't had much luck with it because I don't get enough char before the meat is overcooked. I'm obviously not judging it properly.

Just for the sake of accuracy in communication, Dennis' nomenclature for the grill levels is as follows:

Upper grill is the small grill with tall handles generally set on the main grill for a second story

Main grill is the largest grill with the hinged front sitting on a ledge in the KK

Lower grill is the smaller grill with the open front that sits on a ledge in the KK

Sear grill is the upper grill turned upside down on the low handles which sits on the charcoal basket handles inches above the coals.

Just mentioning it because there is a large difference in the height off the coals between cooking a steak on the lower grill and cooking a steak on the sear grill. I can see how you could cook a steak at 800 degrees on the lower grill but its hard for me to imagine you would have anything left but a lump of charcoal if you cooked a steak at 800 deg dome on the sear grill. One of the benefits of cooking close to the coals at a lower temperature is that you get a similar effect without expending all the energy heating the grill up and then cooling it down.

I have been using the sear grill over the charcoal basket for many years, like everyone is describing. But there is also one more factor that can be added to help control how fast your charring the steaks. You can actually control the raging flames at the sear grill by shutting off the bottom damper completely (after the charcoal is well lit), leaving the lid open. In a few minutes, the fire will settle out to intense hot glowing coals and give you a little extra time for that perfect steak. If you need more char, open it back up some. You may have to try a few times to get your timing perfect, but once it is dialed in for your preference of thickness, it works every time. I also do pork chops the same way. Anyway, just one more method to add to the toolbox.

And wow, there are some beautiful steak pics on this thread. Raw and cooked! I am hungry, too bad it is 4am.

DJ - what dome temp do you use when doing steak on the sear grill? With the sear kit and using 425ish dome, I don't use hardly any lump which is great since I'm cooking for less than 5 minutes. I do my burgers the same way, grinding my own or buying from a trusted source so I can keep them rare and two mimutes is just enough time for the cheese to melt. My next pork chops will go down there too. I've been doing them on the lower grill to 135 but they don't come out as good as my steaks. Isn't the KK grand that we have all these options to make the perfect steak for our family!!

PS I bought an extra KK charcoal basket recently so I can keep the sear kit permanently set up - love it!!

DJ - what dome temp do you use when doing steak on the sear grill? With the sear kit and using 425ish dome, I don't use hardly any lump which is great since I'm cooking for less than 5 minutes. I do my burgers the same way, grinding my own or buying from a trusted source so I can keep them rare and two mimutes is just enough time for the cheese to melt. My next pork chops will go down there too. I've been doing them on the lower grill to 135 but they don't come out as good as my steaks. Isn't the KK grand that we have all these options to make the perfect steak for our family!!

PS I bought an extra KK charcoal basket recently so I can keep the sear kit permanently set up - love it!!

No idea on the dome temps as it is only shut if I am not at the grill while bringing it up. Otherwise the lid is open during the cook and bottom damper either completely closed or small opening on daisy wheel (after the fire properly spreads). My steaks and chops are 90 secs per flip, 4 flips for the sear marks and two flips for burgers. My high temp grill (use one for grilling and one for smoking), has the older shallow charcoal basket. I can grill several times on a basket of charcoal, not heaping over. Grill it hot and fast, then shut her down.

And like you said, absolutely wonderful to have so many ways to accomplish the same cook. Try them all and go with what taste best and is the most comfortable cook. This is just one of the many reasons the KK is the best grill out there!

I'm enjoying reading everyone's techniques and ideas, thank you all for chiming in!

As far as cooking with the lid open, one of the greatest attributes of the KK is the all-over uniform cooking that it gives once it is heat soaked. This is similar to a sous vide machine, and with steaks that is what I like. Also like a sous vide, you want to brown the crust for flavor and to seal in the moisture. I prefer a nice crust for flavor and texture, but not at the expense of burning and drying out the outer layer of the steak in order to get to medium-rare.

I think I'll try the "time method" and cook more instinctually, understanding that it will continue to cook more after I pull it off - more than any other cooking method that I've used. And not sevod guess myself with the darn Thermapen! I'll also shoot for a lower done temp, maybe around 350-400, knowing that at the sear-grate level it could be as hot as 600.

What do you do to get the KK up to 800? Just the Lower and Top Vents ?

Eggary - if you open the vent wheel and then pull the door out a few inches and spin the top vent open (carefully!!), you'll get there quick. It will be interesting to see how Robert does it.

It just takes time. Thats half the fun. Full basket, about half open on the bottom, two full turns on top. After an hour or so, this gets about 450 deg. After this is established, bottom vent open full, top threeish full turns. This all takes time, but when I do steaks, I try to make it an event.

The kk will get there, and I find when you take the time to really heat it up, your timing is very precise, and I can completely cover the lower grill with meat and the times aren't effected! As a born and bred Louisianian, food is the event of the day, to be shared with friends, and cooking on the kk makes the events even better.

Robert