Bobbareeno

BBQ Guru Probe Problem

Hello all,

Just wondering if anyone else has experienced this problem. I was going to cook some whole chickens yesterday and had the grill up to temp with my BBQ Guru WIFI. The pit sensor slides thru the hole in the KK perfectly. Now the problem, my food probes have a 90 degree bend in them that's about 1.5" long. With that food probes will not fit thru the hole! I can run them through the hole plug end first when the grill is cold but feeding them through probe end first isn't possible. I sent BBQ Guru an email and they responded saying they don't make straight probes but they would custom make me some for $40 apiece. Am I the only one with this problem?

Bob

You can straighten them yourself.. Use the rounded edge of a table and slowly little bit by little bit bend it straight.. The secret is to make many, very small bends using the table edge for support. It does not have to be completely straight just straight enough to get thru the hole.. you can make a cut with a sharp knife or razor half way thru the silicone plug and slip it over your cables and leave it on the cable. If you need more space you can carefully drill out the center of the plug before you slice it.

Thanks for the help! Boy the guy at BBQ Guru got ticky with me when I said the KK was designed with a feed hole for BBQ Guru probes to slide thru. He told me in no uncertain terms that they have NO agreement with KK for feeding their probes thru a KK. I told him that was obviously the case or I never would have to have written him in the first place! I had an older CyberQ II that had probes that were nearly straight. They had maybe a 20 degree angle about an inch from the wire end. My WIFI model came with three probes that have a sweeping 90 degree curve. That's what freaked me out, the severe bend and the thought of trying to bend them straight. He gave me the whole...."this will void your probes warranty" talk. He did reiterate his offer to make me some straight probes. What to do, what to do! Bob

I bent the probe for my iGrill as well as the smokehouse probe for my BlueTherm Duo, each by hand . The smokehouse probe bend scared me as it's significantly more beefy than the iGrill probe. They did not recommend it, but I did it anyway and everything went fine. Like Dennis said, slow and careful and not too much at one time