EGGARY

To Foil or Not to Foil

I have cooked Spare Ribs both ways, foiled and not foiled, and they are both good. With the KK is there a real need to foil ? When foiling there is not a lot of bark on the Ribs but they do get tender. What have been your experiences. I am making Ribs for a Birthday Party this Sunday and have to transport. So I am trying to figure out the best way to cook these Ribs.

Thanks.

I only foil ribs when I want to add a flavored juice for sweetness (like pineapple). With the KK, I find low and slow at 225-250 for 4-5 hours is all you need for tender juicy ribs. I should note that those times are for a rib rack full of ribs...probably less for a slab or two due to more airflow....

Never wrapped while cooking on the KK, only afterwards when I need to transport or to hold for later dinnertime. I prefer my ribs done "competition," that is, not falling off the bone, but just tender enough to pull away easy and leave a good bite mark when you bite into the rib.

It appears to be a badge of honor not to foil ribs in the amateur BBQ world but I just can't get them tender enough for my family's taste without a foil stage after the cooking is completed and they are resting for an hour or so in the foil. And that is not anything near "falling off the bone".

Gary, try this and I'm sure you'll be happy with the outcome. Set KK to 275 and cook ribs for 2 hours indirect heat. Pull ribs and foil. First add butter, honey, and brown sugar and place ribs meat side down in the foil. Place back on KK for 1 hour meat side down. After 1 hour pull off and unfoil and place back on KK for 30 to 45 min meat side up. Just make sure to keep KK at 275 for entire cook. During the last 30 - 45 minutes you can mop with BBQ sauce if you want. I do and love my ribs. Call me with questions My ribs are tender and I get a little firmness/bark on the outside. Actually my favorite ribs to eat are the slightly burnt ends. Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk