OutbackMatt

New owner, Melbourne AU

Hi Folks,

As a brand new owner of a 23" Gen 2.6 in Melbourne, Australia, I just wanted to jump on and say hello. Previously I'd owned another brand of Kamado, and experienced several problems with it.
Faulty hinge, cracked lid, bad sealing etc. As soon as I laid eyes on the Komodo Kamado, I was just in awe. All of the floored designs of my old cooker bear no resemblence to my new grill. The 
Komodo Kamado has clearly been designed by someone who strives for perfection. It's just so brilliantly engineered and over built. The entire purchase process was a pleasure. The KK might be two to three times the price of other Komodos,
but it is not even comparable. I did my first cook yesterday... pulled pork. I set the BBQ Guru at 225F Saturday night, and it was reading exactly that at 7.00am the next morning. The pork took 15 hours to reach
195F and was delicious. I am sure I have lots to learn from the folks on here, and look forward to hanging out on the forum. Regards Matt

As another owner of a previous komado style grill known for its flaws (POSK), I know exactly how you felt when you saw the KK sitting on your patio/deck. I just stared at mine forever. Amazing. You will be sooooo much happier with it than your previous one and will not regret for one second the price paid - quality is never cheap, but cheap is almost never quality!

Like Hector said, pictures, my man, pictures, especially your first cook. Forum Rule #1: no pictures, it didn't happen.

Thanks for the advice. I actually bought the guru for my previous Komodo. First time I used the old grill on a slow cook I went to bed with the thermometer reading 230F. Two hours later it was at 200. I made a minuscule adjustment to the air vent and went to bed. About 3 hours later, checked it again and it was at 350. I never got to use the guru again as a week later the cooker almost toppled over when the lid hinge gave way and I took the whole thing back to the store.

That's why I'm just so in awe of the KK hinge. It's just soooooo much better. So beautifully engineered!

The guru was expensive (Aussie Dollar not travelling too well at the moment + shipping), and I thought it was so cool that the KK had the port already to go.

However, I take your point, and once I have some successful cooks under my belt, I'll give the unit a try without the guru.

And here is last night's dinner, Prime rib off the bone. I dry brined the meat in Kosher salt overnight. Then applied a wet rub and back into the fridge for a day. I set the grill at 225F and cooked the meat for 3.5 hours,

with 2 small chunks of applewood added. The meat came off while I cranked the temp up to 650C. I then reverse seared it for a few minutes. We ate the meat at 143F, which I know is more than most would, 

but there is no way the kids would eat rare meat. It was undoubtedly the best steak I've ever cooked.

post-1444-0-75764900-1393812930_thumb.jp

So the rub consisted of a mixture of dried herbs and seasonings. Rosemary, Thyme, Onion & Garlic powder, Paprika, Cayenne Pepper, Cumin... All mixed together with an exquisite local extra Virgin olive oil. Once rubbed, I vacuum sealed the meat and left it in the fridge for the day.

The knife is polished to 3000 grit on Japanese wet stones and then stropped on leather. The blade literally fell through the meat.

Welcome aboard Matt!  Looks like this isn't your first rodeo :D...nice looking piece of beef!  You're going to just love your KK!   It, as others here relayed to me when I was in shopping mode last year, is an incredibly versatile cooker for long and slow or fast and short cook sessions...and everything in between.

I am completely confident in the kk's ability to maintain a constant temperature when set properly. I am also a huge fan of the guru's ability to control temperature very precisely. It will also make precise, fast adjustments as needed. The guru definitely is a great tool to use with your kk.<br />

<br />

<br />

Robert

Tonight's dinner... Pork ribs drizzled with apple juice and then massaged with a dry rub. These have been smoking at 250F for about 3 hours. Will be brushing on some home made bbq sauce in about an hour. The smell in the backyard is amazing...I'm so in love with this new grill.

post-1444-0-64608800-1394262201_thumb.jp