OutbackMatt

First Steak Cook On The KK

It's a beautiful long weekend down in this part of the world (Oz). 

So I thought I'd do my first steak cook. I did a beautiful low and slow prime rib last weekend, but I'm not counting that.

So to christen my KK, I picked these babies up. If anyone would care to give me any suggestions on the best way to cook these

I'd love to hear some ideas. Thanks, Matt

post-1444-0-94242800-1394251846_thumb.jp

Matt

Mine recipe would be very simple. I regularly cook Sher Wagyu steaks. All I do is rub on a little olive oil, then simply add a lot of freshly cracked pepper and plenty of salt.

Get the KK upto 550F using nice chunky lump charcoal, leave in the lower grill, leave the KK for 40 mins or so until the charcoal is going white. Place the steak on for 3-4 each side for medium-rare depending on the thickness. Less if the steak is less than 25mm thick.

http://komodokamado.com/forum/topic/4783-wagyu-porterhouse-striploin/

These were the ones we tried.

They should be fantastic :-)

Hector

I'm assuming you've vented your kk. Get it hot, 700°+. Use the lower grill, not the reversible one. Sea salt, a bit more than you might think, pepper only. For 1.5" thick steaks, medium rare, 3 minutes lid closed, 30 seconds lid open. Flip, repeat, you're done. <br />

<br />

<br />

Robert

There's lots of steak methods. Try this one once. Get the fire between 300 to 400 degrees, it's not critical. Roast the steak up high above the fire, on the main grill, with the lid closed. You will flip it once, let it cook on the first side for about seven to ten minutes and flip it. Now you will finish it by internal temp, not time. What temp? Experience will tell you what you like. This method keeps the steak in the closed KK longer than a quick grill down on the fire. It gets more smoke. It cooks evenly throughout. You can sear it at the end, or not. We just take ours off, no sear. If you like it charred outside and raw in the middle, this is not your method! If you sear it, the fire temp up in the dome is irrelevant. You just put it down right on the fire with the sear grill for a few moments. Everybody likes their steaks different, this is just one you might like to try.