mk1

Memphis in May 2014--BBQ journey #1

A buddy and I went to Memphis...briefly, we met Chris Lilly, Mike Mills, Garry Roark and many others to numerous to mention. All of these champions treated us like royalty and fed us championship Q. Special thanks to Garry of Ubon's out of Yazoo City MS, who adopted us and allowed us to join their team (another story).

We were with Chris when the double rainbow appeared and he thought it was good luck for his 4th World Championship. He won!

We finished up with a side trip to Decatur AL and brisket at Big Bob Gibson's.

MIM is amazing, but plan ahead! Rules prevent visitors from randomly sampling competitors Q....

A few pics.....post-747-0-45014800-1403008395_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-66132000-1403008407_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-09311400-1403008417_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-54415400-1403008425_thumb.jpgpost-747-0-99578600-1403008436_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

MIM is on my "bucket list", too, along with the Jack and the Am Royal.

BTW - as the geeky engineer, you should know that the "double rainbow" that you saw was actually a "triple!" What you saw were the primary and tertiary rainbows. The secondary appears as a circle around the sun and would have been 180 degrees behind you. I have been fortunate enough to have observed a triple in my life - the secondary was amazing - a full circle rainbow around the sun!

Definitely something I need to do.. sadly I've never been to any BBQ event or famous BBQ joint.  I went to a chain last summer but my Q was much better..  
You wrote "Rules prevent visitors from randomly sampling competitors Q....
So no way to taste Q from all the teams?  What's the point?  
I had fantasies of getting a mouthful from all the camps..