LarryR

Long 4th of July Cook How Much ECC?

Wife wants ribs for the fourth, we're out of frozen vac-sealed pulled pork so I figure after I pull the ribs on I'll throw on 4 large butts. I'd prefer not to have to reload fuel after the ribs and the only fuel I know of that could pull off about a 30 hour cook (not including warm-up) is Dennis' extruded coconut.

Anyone have any idea on how much I should load? I'm thinking a full box would be too much, but then I don't want to undershoot either. I'd fill completely however I like to hord my ECC for longer cooks vs. my shorter (even ribs) cooks. Outside temp will be 105/80 during the cook.

Thanks in advance!

Haven't you guys heard about the zombie apocalypse LOL? On one had you could say I'm hoarding, on the other, it's an interesting guessing game for me, or somewhat of a calculated/educated guess I suppose. Believe it or not I've actually counted out how many pieces of ECC I used, then I counted how many were left over . . . then I lost the damn notepad I put it on!!!!!

If memory serves me correctly someone ran their KK for 80+ hours on a 16 lb box. So I'm thinking I'm going to shoot for 2/3 of a box just to be safe. Also, it's so damn hot here anyway. Just sitting on the patio my KK registers over 100 internal, how much energy will be spend bringing her up another 115 degrees . . .

Haven't you guys heard about the zombie apocalypse LOL?

I remember stories of a Florida Hurricane followed by an extensive power outage, and a ceramic cooker ran 24/7 preserving the contents of the neighborhood chest freezers.

In California, we have an on-demand water heater, and a KK. In the worst case (an earthquake drops the neighboring red states into the sea) we plan to trade fire for water.