EGGARY

Cold Smoking

The Jewish Holidays are around the corner and we do Break-the-Fast at our house. I am not a Lox person but we serve it Bagels and Cream Cheese. I have seen videos on how to cure Salmon. I would like to give it a try and make Smoked Salmon/Lox.

The issue is Cold Smoking the Salmon. What is/are the best ways to go about Cold Smoking on the KK ?

Thanks.

Looking in the Seafood thread for tips on smoking salmon. "Cold" is a relative term. Here we generally mean in the 140-160F range on the grill. Good smoked salmon needs to be brined and then pulled out and set next to a fan to set the pellicle so the smoke adheres to the fish. 

I get great results, too, with a dry rub cure for salmon (Alton Brown's recipe).  But per tony b all my salmon gets smoked at 150-ish*F...unless I'm intentionally doing a hot smoke process for dinner entree type fare.  

Not sure, since I've never done it, how you'd get a KK or similar to hold 100*F for longer period of time for "cold" smoking.  But I'll be watching this thread to see the ideas pour in :)  I would think you'd need a two chamber smoker for good cold smoking...

I did some cheeses a while back. From what I can remember, I used a big pan of ice on the lower grate, then set the sear grate over the ice pan and placed the cheeses on there.

I think naked whiz has a write up on smoking cheese on his site.

I also did jerky by lighting only the end of a stick of KKEC, (I actually used a rod to stack the older style short pieces but I bet you could do it easily with one stick of the new longer pieces). I then set smoke wood up against it , and opened up the too vent to get more airflow ( dry the jerky ) and keep temps down. Worked well. (There's a thread on here with pics)

I think with a few blocks of dry ice, or a pan of conventional ice that you replenish as needed inside the grill, and using a tiny heat source - like lighting just one end of a KKEC stick, you'd be able to keep temps down.