BigLazy23

Saturday rib cook

Cooked a slab of baby back ribs on the Komodo this past weekend. Coated the meat side with yellow mustard and then the ribs were rubbed with a 1 to 1 mix of Dizzy Dust and Red Eye Express.  Set in the fridge for an hour and a half wrapped in aluminum foil.  Used coconut charcoal and threw in a few pieces of apple and cherry wood on the sides of the charcoal basket.  Cooked indirect heat for four hours without opening the lid; then added sauce and cooked for another 20 minutes.

First time cooking ribs from start to finish on the grill so all in all the ribs turned out well and my wife and I were pleased.  I think they were a little overcooked and I think I erred by putting the wood solely around the outside of the charcoal basket as the wood didn't burn much.  Next time I will mix it in with the coconut charcoal; fun in learning how to work the Komodo and improve the final result.

post-1797-0-78963800-1407896386_thumb.jp

post-1797-0-89729300-1407896450_thumb.jp

post-1797-0-15881400-1407896460_thumb.jp

At what temperature did you cook the ribs? Wood on outside with coconut probably was used very little...you are right, put some in middle of coals.

Oops, left off that helpful bit of information.  The cooker stabilized at 260 degrees and took about 1.5 hours  to get up to temperature.  My target temperature was 250 but being the first time using the Komodo I didn't want to start messing with it at that point.  Probably should have checked the ribs after 3.5 hours or so instead of riding the full four hours.

Don't sweat small differences in target temperature. The worst thing you can do is "chase the temperature." The KK, when heated up, is like the proverbial "turning a battleship." All the temperature difference does is change the cooking times slightly, not the results.

The other piece of advice that I offer is to cook to internal meat temperature, not to time (exception is high temperature searing). The excessive drawback on your ribs (picture before saucing) says that they were overcooked a bit. The best test for rib doneness is pick up the rack with tongs in the middle, bounce it a little, and see if the meat cracks near the bone. Check out www.amazingribs.com.  It's a great resource!

Don't sweat small differences in target temperature. The worst thing you can do is "chase the temperature." The KK, when heated up, is like the proverbial "turning a battleship." All the temperature difference does is change the cooking times slightly, not the results.

The other piece of advice that I offer is to cook to internal meat temperature, not to time (exception is high temperature searing). The excessive drawback on your ribs (picture before saucing) says that they were overcooked a bit. The best test for rib doneness is pick up the rack with tongs in the middle, bounce it a little, and see if the meat cracks near the bone. Check out www.amazingribs.com.  It's a great resource!

Thanks Tony!  Much appreciated and great advice.  Will do some reading up on amazingribs over the weekend.

I tried and rejected yellow mustard years ago; we never use it now. We like the effect of salting first (carefully by weight) then rubbing with black pepper and freshly pan-roasted and ground chiles, nothing else. As in all of cooking, more complex treatments are for meat that needs help; one wants to stand back when the meat shines.

This is of course controversial. For comparison, Alsatian wine makers like to stand out of a higher deity's way, while in Bordeaux the wine maker believes they're bringing the added value in selection and blending.

Does one need a bark to adhere? Take Buffalo wings. They're usually ghastly in sports bars. The best way to make the original is to both fry longer than a sports bar would, and to use a hot sauce so intense that one gets the needed flavor without unduly wetting the wings. Same with rubs; choose hotter chiles rather than caking on milder chiles?