EGGARY

Grilling a Frozen Steak

I just saw a few videos on cooking Frozen Steaks.  From what I saw the frozen steaks were first cooked in a hot pan with oil for a few minutes.  Then they were cooked in an oven at 200 degrees for an hour.  I was wondering if this could be done on a grill.

Here is the link to watch the video.  Maybe Dennis can chime is since he is very good with the Science of the KK.

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/01/18/dining/modernist-cuisine-adapted-to-home-entertaining.html?_r=2&

We will sometimes take a frozen steak in a heat-safe vacuum bag, sous-vide it to (nearly the) desired internal temperature for an hour, then sear for a few minutes to finish.

There have been frequent debates about sous-vide online (for instance eGullet) as to whether one can taste the difference searing first or last, and whether it matters. I'd say yes and no; it is what it is, so adjust.

Searing first is simply ancient habit. There's no modern reason to stick to this order. One can still choose this order after rejecting the habit, but please make a free choice!

Searing last is forced on users of chamber vacuum machines; one cannot vacuum process hot foods without damaging the machine. Coming up with an arcane rationalization for the virtues of searing last is every bit as silly as searing first out of ancient habit, if one is simply adapting to a technological limitation.

Sous-vide then sear is convenient if one can easily rig the bath; an extra half hour hardly matters if life intervenes. For tougher cuts, an extended bath tenderizes in ways no other approach can match. I then save the liquid from the bag, dry the meat carefully, and sear. One can make a quick sauce based on reducing the liquid, or simply give it to the dog.

• Like 2

Along the same lines, I'm still a huge fan of using the KK for a reverse sear...  I heat soak it for at least 90 minutes to 200F, put my 1 3/4" - 2" steaks on the upper rack and slowly bring them to an internal temp of 118F-120F.  While they steaks are in the KK, I get my weber gasser blistering for a quick 30 second sear per side at the end of the cook.  This results in a product with none of the grey bands, flavor from the KK, and a nice cross thatched sear to make em' look good.

Here is the scale I use for determining when to pull the meat for the sear, depending on how our guests want their meat done:

105 For Bleu

115 For Rare

120 For Medium Rare

130 For Medium

140 For Medium Well

150 For Well

To get to medium rare takes about 20 minutes with the KK at 200F.  To get to well done takes about 40 minutes, so time your cook accordingly.

Well, I tried it yesterday. Sorry, no pics; too damned hot/humid to be dinking around with a camera!!

The KK was running at 350F to cook the corn on the cob and sourdough bread on the main grate. When they finished, I pulled off the main grate and put on the sear grate and tossed on a chunk of red oak. Cranked it up (500F in the dome, raging at the sear grate). Was using the split basket left (hot)/right (cool). Took the NY strip (1.25" thick) out of the freezer, rubbed on some oil and Dizzy Pig "Raising the Steaks." Tossed it on the sear grate for 1 minute on each side, then 30 seconds on each side, to get a good sear. Internal temp was still only about 45F, but thawed out. Put the main grate back on and put the steak on the hot side for 10 minutes (Internal now about 105F), flipped it for another 5 minutes, then pulled it off (internal temp in the 130F range). Rested for a few minutes while I shucked corn and plated the sides. Steak finished out at medium. Tasty, especially when topped with bourbon glazed mushrooms!

Can't say that this has any distinct advantage over any other style of steak grilling, other than the "Oh, sh!t, I forgot to thaw out the steaks!" scenario. If I do it again, I'll leave it on the sear grate longer to build up a bit more crust and back off on the main grate time - maybe 5 minutes each side (direct), check the internal temp, and then finish on the cool side (indirect) to final temps.

Well, tried it again yesterday. This time it was a big hunk of sirloin. Similar set up to the first try (above), except I didn't have anything going on the grill, so it was just straight up to 400+F in the dome. Red Oak chunk for flavor. Sear grate - 2 minutes per side, flipped 3 times, until I was happy with the crust (6-7 minutes total). This was a thicker cut of meat, so the interior temp was still cold (40F) and slightly frozen in spots, even though it was on the sear grate much longer. Put it up on the main grill on the direct side until the internal temp came up to 100F, then flipped it over and finished it out at 110F. Rested for about 5-7 minutes while I plated all the sides and poured another glass of merlot. Sliced it open, beautiful medium-rare and very uniform color throughout. Reminded me of doing it sous-vide. (Thought about taking a picture, but was too damned hungry at that point to go get the camera! LOL!)

So, based on this cook, I might keep this one in the "tool box" for later use after all.

I have cooked pork shoulders frozen hard as a rock, they come out perfect also.

Cookie mentioned cooking steaks at 200º. That is of course roasting, not grilling. I have promoted that concept here in this forum before. It's like the sous vide of fire. You get a piece of meat evenly cooked throughout, and with a lot more smoke flavor than a quick grill, because it takes longer. I do my steaks high up in the dome, and sometimes indirect, if you believe that! For ya'll that grill hot and close to the fire, you should try it once out of curiosity. You might like it! You can sear it first, last, or not at all. I don't even sear mine anymore. It's the "low and slow" of steak cooking...

Did another frozen steak tonight - prime rib eye (about 1.5" thick). This time I took pictures, so you know that it actually happened!

Straight out of the freezer.

post-975-0-09746200-1412814270_thumb.jpg

Quick baste of oil and seasoning (combo of Dizzy Pig Raising the Steaks and Sucklebuster's Hoochie Mama & Steak Rub) and onto the grill.

post-975-0-91101800-1412814370_thumb.jpg

At the peak, the KK was cranked (700F dome), which according to Dennis' test, put the lower grate @ 1000F!!

post-975-0-72526900-1412814451_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-21203800-1412814480_thumb.jpg

Probably one of the best crusted steaks that I've done. But, was a crazy cook. After I got the initial sear done (3 minutes per side, then 2 minutes per side), the interior was still seriously cold (54F). So, I closed down the vents and dropped the temperature in the dome to about 450F and just kept flipping it over about every 2-3 minutes and checking the temperature until I got around 120F internal. 

Ta, da!

post-975-0-73085400-1412814695_thumb.jpg

post-975-0-79301000-1412814714_thumb.jpg

Sorry, the last one is a bit blurry, but I was using the camera phone. Trust me, it was a perfect rare!

Verrrrrry interesting. I take it you used the Split Basket and had no problem getting the temp to 700+. The steaks were seared 3 & 2 minutes each side ? When they were cooked to get up to temp, were they put on the side of no charcoal?

I definitely want to try this. Thank you.

Yes, I normally use the Split Basket to do fast sears on steaks, etc., especially when at very high temps. You don't blow through as much charcoal and you can get to crazy high temps pretty fast. Think "turbo" mode on the KK.

Steaks were high temp seared for 3 & 2 minutes, each side respectively. Then, since the KK wasn't heat soaked, it was very easy to close the vents for a few minutes and drop the temp down. In the meantime, the steak was "resting" on the non charcoal side. When the temps dropped I slid the steak back over the coals, flipping every couple of minutes, until the IT came up to my target (120F), then rested in the house.

Also, note that I was using the lower grill, not the sear grate to do this entire cook. If I use the sear grate on a frozen steak, I'll flip every minute until I get the char that I'm looking for and normally put it on the main grill (direct) to finish after the sear, so as not to burn the outside while trying to thaw/cook the interior. When I'm within about 10F - 15F of final IT, then slid it over to the non-direct side to roast out to final temp, then rest inside for about 10 minutes. 

It's a fun and interesting way to cook a steak. For your first time, I'd recommend using the lower grill, instead of the sear grate, until you get the hang of it.