GoFrogs91

First Pizza

Setup: Heat deflector, new baking stone on upper grill at ~650

post-1807-141082784702_thumb.jpg

White pizza with tomatoes and basil.

post-1807-141082794374_thumb.jpg

Went a little thin on the cheese. Resulted in the over brown edge.

post-1807-141082815427_thumb.jpg

If you are a purist and don't like much on your pizza, this one isn't for you.

u9yze6e4.jpg

On the grill.

post-1807-141082831593_thumb.jpg

Thin crust delight.

Next time, I might take it up to 700 degrees.

Surreal experience this morning. Shut the grill down about 8:30 last night. Went to put the grills away at about 8:00 this morning. Opened it up and felt heat immediately. Hmmmmmmm. Guru port plugged....check. Bottom vent closed......check. Top vent tight.....check. Back door closed.....check. Head scratch. Scratch. That felt good. One more scratch.

Not sure about this one. Baking stone and upper grill hot enough to require silicone gloves to remove. Heat deflector warm, but able to handle. Initial thought was that air was getting in after shutdown, but would have expected a really hot heat deflector. Mystery?

post-1807-141082827744_thumb.jpg

Lots of thermal mass to cool down. Not surprised it was still warm the next morning after heating up that stone to 650F. 

Check to see how much coal you have left. If you burned up most of it, then you might have had a small air leak to keep the coals smoldering all night. Most likely not; that's just how efficient the KK is at holding heat!

Great looking pies, BTW.

It sure looks to me like Frogs cooked on his deflector. Not sure.

Frogs, make sure both the front and back doors are tightly pushed in in their frames. I had a number of cooks early on where the one in the back was not tight because a little bit of ash got in between the door and frame when I cleaned it and the coals stayed burning all the way until exhausted.

Just sitting here wondering - what makes the baking stone more suitable for baking than the heat deflector? I have three round heavy ceramic pieces of different size and thickness and 1 KK shaped one. I don't use them since I haven't ventured into pizza on the KK yet and prefer a metal implement as a heat deflector but they seem very similar in composition.