wilburpan

First cook: Friday fish night

Just finished dinner after trying my new KK 23" for the first time. After consulting with the kids, who have been waiting all summer for me to cook on the grill, we decided on fish for the maiden voyage. Everything here was direct grilled at 400ºF or so. I sprinkled a mix of kosher salt, black pepper, and ancho chile powder on the fish. The portobello mushrooms got a coat of olive oil, kosher salt, and black pepper.

Mahi mahi:

post-1821-0-22264100-1412988264_thumb.jp

Tuna steak, plated with broccoli rabe and sliced grilled portobello mushroom:

post-1821-0-38171200-1412988316_thumb.jp

Portobello mushrooms:

post-1821-0-86992300-1412988274_thumb.jp

Action shot:

post-1821-0-40238300-1412988253_thumb.jp

Everything was delicious, although the tuna was overdone for my liking. That was my fault. I didn’t have the grill hot enough for a nice sear. I should have cooked the mahi mahi and mushrooms first, and then brought up the temperature. Learning curve, you know. ^_^ Still, not bad for using a kamado for the first time.

• Like 1

WIlbur - you got me to thinking ... I'm Catholic and as a Certified Crappie Cruncher, it's not very often that I run into people cooking fish on Friday's anymore.  I've gotta get some fish for The Beast and give it a run.  I"m thinking some good tuna for a quick sear this coming Friday.  I"ll let you know if it comes to fruition by posting pics.

And oh, BTW, very nice cook!  

• Like 1