CeramicChef

Smoked Chicken Enchi's

Well KKers, I've been wanting to do some smoked chicken enchi's since The Beast landed in OKC.  Today is the day.  Found a nice package of chicken breasts on deal at Sam's this morning and decided I don't care if it causes the world to stop, I'm doing chicken enchi's for tonight's dinner.  

I've got friends coming over and I'm not one to put on the dog and try and impress anyone.  They've all been here before and have never walked away hungry or complaining.  So this is going to be one quick, simple, and wholesome dinner.

Here's the set-up:  Chicken breasts well trimmed and seasoned with cumin, chili powder, salt, pepper, and garlic.  That's it.  I've made this dish a thousand times so I didn't stop to measure the amounts of each.  Sorry about that.

We'll be using pecan wood as our smoke agent.  I've got a drip pan above the heat deflectors.  The Beast is idling along at 225-235F.  Here's the pic:

post-1637-0-86740400-1413922732_thumb.jp

I'll be sitting near The Beast drinking a little liquid refreshment to keep my strength from flagging.  Chicken breasts will be pulled at about 160F or so.

Oh, almost forgot!  Before I get to far into the cups, some of you have asked about what I use to keep The Beast looking ship shape and shiny.  As I alluded to in a previous post, it's Meguiar's.  Specifically, here's a pic that should help:

post-1637-0-81881400-1413923127_thumb.jp

Which reminds me that the lawn guys just left and The Beast is a bit dusty!  Time for a wipe down and then some adult type beverage.  

More to come.

Okay, where did we leave off in this cook?   Oh, yeah, polishing The Beast.

I"ve said it before and I'll say it a hundred times again, it's vitally necessary to to stay properly hydrated:

post-1637-0-95879000-1413940892_thumb.jp

It's also important to match the proper fluid to the cook.

Here we have, left to right, poblano peppers matchsticked, the hydrating agent, chopped cilantro, and chopped green onion tops.

post-1637-0-77994200-1413941050_thumb.jp

Here at Chez Chef, we have a new Sous Chef who was instrumental in this evening's cook.  Guru's, I'd like you to meet Skippy.  Skippy was only supposed to visit for a week, but you know how that goes ...

post-1637-0-06271600-1413941173_thumb.jp

Here are the onions and poblanos sautéing and ready to join the smoked chicken breast ...

post-1637-0-70247700-1413941251_thumb.jp

Here are the smoke kissed chicken breasts at 165F ...

post-1637-0-17791200-1413942206_thumb.jp

Here is the assembly station moving from right to left ready to start making the smoked chicken enchi's ...

post-1637-0-68834300-1413941437_thumb.jp

The enchi's back in the belly of The Beast at 375F for about 30-45 mins ...

post-1637-0-52567100-1413941597_thumb.jp

And finally ... smoked chicken enchi's leftovers ...

post-1637-0-97698100-1413941725_thumb.jp

Sorry there is no money shot, but with these chow hounds, there are two types of diners .... the quick and the hungry!  These enchi's went down fast.  We had homemade salsa, guac, sour cream, beans, and rice.  If SWMBO wasn't demanding leftovers, she'd be a hungry gal tonight.  I risked my right arm getting those off the table and spirited away for SWMBO.  The things we do for love!

There's no big mystery to this cook.  Basic spices used in Mexican food, basic Mexican sides ... rice and beans, and basic salsa, basic fresh guac, cold beer, etc.  Any of you can do this.  You all have eaten chicken enchi's many times.  Just take the basic ingredients, change 'em to your tastes, and make this simple dish yours!

Have a wonderful evening!  I"m going back to SWMBO and the Chow Hounds!

Enchiladas... Never cooked them since moving to Bali.. or in my grills.

Great idea..  Thanks for sharing..

Dennis, I cook everything in The Beast!  Your designs are so dadgummed good that the KK lends itself to every style of cooking.  

Slow cookers (i.e. crock pots) are all the rage (again) here in the States.  Well guess what?  I've got the worlds most versatile slow cooker sitting on my back patio!  

Dennis, I've gotten excited again about cooking out in my backyard because of all that The Beast allows to be done on it.  The Beast rocks!  Thanks!   :occasion5:

Great idea!

I made enchilada's a few days ago as well.  Had left over chicken from a cook.  But putting them back on the beast?  Pure genius.

amir - every once in a great while even a blind pig like me finds a acorn!

I've always figured that if you've got The Beast fired up and on flight idle you may as well take it around the pattern on more time.

Y'all have a great day!