Paswesley

Moving Mable

Hi, KK family. I have not logged on in quite a while. I have been occupied with many things, not the least of which was the building of a beautiful new home. We are only moving about four miles from where we were before. Yet, a move is a move, is a move! I love the new house, but I despise moving! We moved to the new residence a couple of weeks ago, but have not done the main move yet, so to speak. We have two SUVs and have been moving smaller items. In another week or so, we will do the main move. I know from previous experience that moving companies insist that a move is insured, but when you make a claim it is pennies on the dollar, because items are insured by weight, rather than by inherent value. I had a nationally advertised mover to manage a move a number of years back and they crushed the tweeter on one of my B & W Matrix 801 speakers. The repair cost was $650.00, but they offered me $10.00, based on the weight of the speaker! I was so disgusted with them that I told them they could keep their $10.00. How have members handled moving their cookers in the past? I am very nervous about trying to move Mable in general, and I especially do not want to entrust her to ham handed guys who may damage her. Ideas? Thanks for any suggestions.

:naka:

Paswesley,

Search the forums for this topic.

it has been covered a few times.

If you don't have the crate to put it back into, then, in my opinion, the next best thing is a uhaul low trailer, or a landscape type trailer.

You can tow it with your suv.

I would take the top off and place it flat on the trailer, on top of a soft surface (mattress w/ plywood under it).

Roll the bottom onto  the trailer and secure 4 ways with load straps, the kind you can get in home depot, etc.

If your suv has no hitch, then you can use a pickup truck, but this will require the construction of a ramp out of 3/4" ply and 2x6 boards.

same concept, top off, bottom secured 4 ways.

good luck with the move!

We also had a nightmare of a time with commercial movers once.

land pirates.

• Like 1

Years ago I moved halfway across the country. The moving company Humptied my POSK. I made a claim and they offered a dime on the dollar after taking months to get back to me. I told them that offer was unacceptable. Sue us they said. I informed this moving company I'd go them one better ... I'd write a case study, i was an academic in a business school, about their tactics and lack of customer service. I said it would be in their best interests to get reasonable as hundreds if not thousands of students would see this case study. They said they'd sue me. Go ahead; I've got receipts, I've got your offer, I've got your written correspondence. Please sue me! I gave them 5 business days to get back to me. They got back to me the next day and gave me enough to replace the average sized POSK with a medium. Still not optimal, but you gotta know when to fold 'em and take the money off the table.

I hate insurance companies. They're the first ones to take your money and then when you file a claim, they find every way to deny payment. Then they cancel your policy or raise your rates. Bastards!

If you look around, you may be able to find a moving company that specializes in moving relatively fragile objects, and hire them just for moving your KK grill. (And your speakers. ^_^ ) I do woodworking as a hobby, and friends of mine have had to move their shops. Your average moving company can’t deal with that sort of thing, but there are companies that specialize in moving machinery, including knowing how to pack and rig equipment to get the machinery out of the old shop to the truck, and out of the truck into the new shop.

One other alternative is to look into purchasing separate supplemental insurance that covers the replacement cost in case something happens with the KK grill during the move. Check with whoever provides your homeowner’s insurance policy.

• Like 1

I Just moved / Picked up my KK a few weeks ago.  I rented a small 16' truck with a lift gate from Penske.  It was a cost of about $100 as it was for the night.  I also included about a dozen moving blankets and wrapped it really well and then used ratchets to the wall.

Using the lift gate 2 people are able to roll the kk around.

Davey

Lots of great suggestions, and I am thankful for each of them. Hope everyone had a great Thanksgiving and didn't gain too much weight! I am sitting here as full as a tick on turkey hash. One more question:

I am having a patio built using slabs of Pennsylvania bluestone. The pieces are going to be 11/2 to 2" thick and will be cemented to a four inch concrete slab. A section of the patio will be for Mable, of course. Will the substrate of the patio and bluestone be sufficient for her mass or will I need to put down some footings? If I need to use footings, how deep should they be? I am near Baltimore, MD. The ground freezes to a depth of 3 to 5 inches in winter. Thanks, guys, and Happy Holidays!

• Like 1