LK BBQ

Best Thanksgiving Turkey recommendation?

Hey CC,

First of all, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU !  I read your way of doing Turkey and it looked interesting.  Unfortunately for T-Day we are going to the B-I-L and he is doing a Turkey on a Traegar Pellet Grill.  (Yawn)

My wife is getting a 22lb. Fresh Turkey from work, so I plan on cooking/smoking it for a Hanukkah Party.  I have had my eye on brining it in a Maple Syrup  Brine.  

At 350, there will be enough smoke on the bird ?  I figure pecan wood chunks.  Anything better ?

Thanks.

EGGARY - just saw your post. Sorry for that!

In answer to your questions, there is plenty of smoke at 350°F. Between the pecan wood smoke and the grapeseed coating, the skin is perfect, at least in the estimation of my guests. After all, that's what's important, isn't it?

I like pecan on fowl. It doesn't overpower the birds like a hickory or a mesquite. I have been know to use fruit wood for smoke. Oft times I'll use apple and in conjunction, I'll stuff the bird with apple slices, aromatics, and some cranberries. That's just killer! For a very lite smoke I'll use alder for the smoke component. It's a very light smoke and people ask, what did you smoke this with? It's just a hint of smoke ... what is it?

I love a maple syrup brine. I always brine and inject my birds. My injection is butter, garlic, some powdered thyme and rosemary, and maple syrup. Leaves your guests wanting more and saying its the best turkey they ever tasted. I've even been known to baste the bird with that injection liquid the last 30 minutes of the cook. That adds a richness to the color that is amazing.

Hope you had a wonderful Thanksgiving with family and friends!

Oh, BTW, I'm with you on the Traegers.

Tony - absolutely killer cook! You must have stayed at a Holiday Inn Express Wednesday night because Tony, YOU NAILED IT!

I make a cranberry relish quite similar looking to yours. I'm stealing your secret ingredient and this coming Christmas my family is gonna,go wild. It's my Mom's recipe and she would have approved!

Again, great cook and I hope you, your family and your friends had the happiest Thankgiving ever!

• Like 1

Anybody here Smoke a Turkey at 250 ?  I know it would take longer to cook.  I plan on Spatchcocking a Turkey for a Hanukkah Party as well as brining in a Maple Syrup Brine.  LarryR, your brine looks interesting as well.   I prefer using Kosher Salt instead of Table Salt.  How much ?

I don't know about any of you, but this stuff stresses me out thinking "if" it doesn't come out.  So far so good.  Everyone enjoy the Holiday month.

Gary, you can start the cook at 250 but don't finish it off at 250. From my experience you should cook chicken and turkey around 300 - 350 to get the skin nice and crispy. A brine or good injection will help keep your bird juicy good at higher temps.

At 250 you'll have a tender juicy bird but skin will most likely be rubber. :)

Larry,:miss you buddy!

Craig

• Like 1

Gary, you can start the cook at 250 but don't finish it off at 250. From my experience you should cook chicken and turkey around 300 - 350 to get the skin nice and crispy. A brine or good injection will help keep your bird juicy good at higher temps.

At 250 you'll have a tender juicy bird but skin will most likely be rubber. :)

Larry,:miss you buddy!

Craig

Second that. I would even suggest a bit higher: 375F - 400F to get crispy skin. 

• Like 1