LK BBQ

Best Thanksgiving Turkey recommendation?

All, I am planning to cook Thanksgiving turkey in the KK this year.  The only thing is, I have no idea what method or recipe to use.  Since this is my first turkey in the KK, I asked the butcher to split the turkey in half.  I am roasting one half in the oven and one half in the KK.  This is a hedge against my own skills rather than the KK.  Also, my kids don't like smokey flavors yet (they are still very young).  

A few questions: 

1.  Any favorite methods or recipes?  Feel free to post links to past threads or outside recipes.  While there are many in the forums, it is hard to tell which are especially favorites.

2.  Anyone have success in cooking low and slow but obtaining a crispy skin?

3.  Do you prefer cooking turkey on the KK for the low and slow moisture or the smoking flavors?  

Any and all recommendations are appreciated!  

I haven’t cooked a turkey on a KK, but I had a very similar situation regarding cooking a duck in that I wasn’t sure as to the best way to start. In the end, I decided to prep the duck the way I would as if I was going to cook it in the oven, and just used the KK as a substitute for the oven in terms of setting temperature, etc. 

For the crispy skin on the duck, I did what I normally would do with the oven: cook at 375ºF for the majority of the cooking, and increase the temperature to 400-450ºF at the end to crisp up the skin.

As it turned out, the duck was on the overcooked side because I let it go too long before going up on the temperature, probably because I’m still getting used to how efficient the KK grill is compared to an oven. Checking the internal temperature sooner would have really helped. The duck was still really yummy.

I’m glad the only change I made was to cook the duck in the KK grill instead of the oven, since now I have a much better idea of what to change for future cooks. The changes I plan to make the next time are to cook at a lower temperature and to keep a closer eye on the internal temperature of the duck. 

LK - I've done several turkeys on TheBeast, a KK BB 32.  Every one was easy peasy.  No problems at all and it's dead simple.

I brine my birds AND i inject.  Yes, both.  Starting two days ahead of when I want to eat the bird, for my brine I generally use salt, sugar, some herbs ... rosemary & thyme come to mind, some citrus peel ... orange and lemon, and let it sit overnight.

I then pull the bird and let it dry in my refrigerator for a day.  You want the skin bone dry. Then the day of the cook I oil the skin with a high temp oil, generally grape seed oil and I inject with butter, garlic, onion, and powdered thyme or rosemary or sage and some maple syrup.  Notice there is no stuffing in the bird cavities.  I will also ice down the breasts so that they are done around the same time as the leg'/thighs.

I bring TheBeast up to 350F and let it heat soak a couple of hours.  

Then it's on the grate with some maple wood for a light smoke.  At 350F it takes a 20# bird something like 2:45 - 3:00 hours to reach my pull temp of about 155F.  Thermal momentum will carry it to 165F easily.  You'll get a nice crispy skin on a turkey with the 350F and grape seed combo.

I don't do low-n-slow on turkey ... the temp doesn't get the skin temp high enough to crisp up.  Also, most meats only absorb smoke until the outside of the cook hits 170 or so.  Nothing much happens after that, so a long low-n-slow doesn't gain you very much.

Have a wonderful and happy Thanksgiving!

• Like 1

Yeah, what these guys said!

Mine went in the brine last night. Brine is kosher salt, brown sugar, powdered ginger, dried orange peel, whole garlic cloves, green cardamon pods, whole black peppercorns, and star anise. Will bathe for 3 days, then overnight uncovered in the fridge to tighten up the skin. Oil the skin with some S&P, stuff the cavity with a quartered onion and apple with some fresh rosemary and thyme, then onto the KK indirect @ 375F with some peach wood on Turkey Day. 

• Like 1

Hey CC,

First of all, HAPPY THANKSGIVING TO YOU !  I read your way of doing Turkey and it looked interesting.  Unfortunately for T-Day we are going to the B-I-L and he is doing a Turkey on a Traegar Pellet Grill.  (Yawn)

My wife is getting a 22lb. Fresh Turkey from work, so I plan on cooking/smoking it for a Hanukkah Party.  I have had my eye on brining it in a Maple Syrup  Brine.  

At 350, there will be enough smoke on the bird ?  I figure pecan wood chunks.  Anything better ?

Thanks. 

• Like 1

Hey Eggary & LarryR, glad to have you guys back in the Forum. Missed ya!

Larry, you're gonna have to teach me that trick of posting videos in this new forum. Do they have to be on YouTube first?

I plan to use peach wood and go light on it - a single chunk. Looking for a nice, mild smoke. Especially since later in the cook, I'll be putting my pan of dressing on the upper grate and I don't want it too smokey. 

Have a great Turkey Day everyone!!

Larry, you're gonna have to teach me that trick of posting videos in this new forum. Do they have to be on YouTube first?

Hi Tony,

The video needs to be on YouTube first. Once the video is up, or you find a video that you want to share here, go to the YouTube page, and click on the “Share†link. A little window will appear with all kinds of social media links, along with a box with a link to the video. Make sure that the box in front of "Share with playlist starting from†is NOT checked. The link will look like this:

Copy the link, and go back to the forum, and paste it into your post. Click the “More options†box to preview the post to check that the video will show up as you expect.

The video should show up like this. If it didn’t, reload the page to make sure.

(All credit goes to CeramicChef who turned me onto this song.) ^_^

LarryR - everytime I see this vid I learn something new.  I really like icing the breasts before putting that bird on the grate.  Smart.

Thanks for all your videos.  In fact, it's because of your vids, and the rest posted on YouTube by KKer's that I bought TheBeast!

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Hey Eggary & LarryR, glad to have you guys back in the Forum. Missed ya!

I plan to use peach wood and go light on it - a single chunk. Looking for a nice, mild smoke. Especially since later in the cook, I'll be putting my pan of dressing on the upper grate and I don't want it too smokey. 

Have a great Turkey Day everyone!!

Nice Larry. Good to see you back. Turkey looks great!!

Thanks guys. Been pretty busy and my cooking has really dropped off. Also moved into a new house and we're just getting ready to start on the landscaping/pool so it looks like . . . well it looks like the Nevada desert, not a great backdrop for cooking videos.

LarryR - everytime I see this vid I learn something new.  I really like icing the breasts before putting that bird on the grate.  Smart.

Thanks for all your videos.  In fact, it's because of your vids, and the rest posted on YouTube by KKer's that I bought TheBeast!

Happy Thanksgiving to one and all!

Glad to hear it. Great trick that I swear by now, no more breast done, thighs not. I'll be doing a pizza video soon. Did one the other day but had a few too many adult beverages and the ending didn't turn out that great so I need to re-record.

• Like 1

I'll be doing a pizza video soon. Did one the other day but had a few too many adult beverages and the ending didn't turn out that great so I need to re-record.

That seems to happen a lot in your videos - LMAO!! 

btw - that's why we love them!!!  :occasion5:

Love the BBQ song!! Not only can they actually play, but they seriously know their Q!!

That seems to happen a lot in your videos - LMAO!! 

btw - that's why we love them!!!  :occasion5:

Love the BBQ song!! Not only can they actually play, but they seriously know their Q!!

Ha! Yea, we've been known to have a fun (safe) time around the Kooker. This Thanksgiving will be no execption. Good friends, good drink and a GREAT bird off a supurb kooker.

I agree with what everyone has said here, but with regards to whether or not a certain amount of smoke wood is / is not enough, I tend to think it doesn't make a whole lot of difference if you are cooking at 350, which I agree is the ideal temp.  I throw a couple of chunks on 10 mins before I start my cook to let the acrid stuff burn off. Ideally, I'd start at 400 for 45 mins, then lower the temp to 325 to finish the cook, but the KK is so damned efficient that you can't reduce the heat quickly enough, so 350 is the sweet spot (for me anyway).  I have found that no matter how little or more smoking wood I use, I still only get maybe a 1/2" smoke ring in the turkey.  It has to penetrate the skin first.  Most of us are cooking at 350 - 400 for a reason -- to get that nice crispy skin.  Once you crisp it up, you can't expect too much smoke penetration, although if you have an open wire vertical turkey setter, you can get some additional smoke penetration from the inside out, but I think that is negligible as well after the first 45 mins.

Just my two pennies...

• Like 1

Just finished cleaning up after the turkey dinner. Have to say that this was probably the best turkey I've ever cooked. Pulled the bird off the KK at 180F internal in the thigh. The breast was not the least bit dry, juicy actually! Only miss was no crispy skin, despite the overnight uncovered rest in the fridge, oil rub with S&P just before going on the KK. Was shooting for 375F dome, but settled for 360F. 

Pictures, you say?? OK!

Bird just getting started on the KK.

post-975-0-50977200-1417139087_thumb.jpg

Here's one for Dennis, with the KK logo showing. Notice the apple and onion in the cavity.

post-975-0-60026500-1417139235_thumb.jpg

Bird is done!

post-975-0-33330900-1417139258_thumb.jpg

After a nice rest under the aluminum foil tent.

post-975-0-30183800-1417139299_thumb.jpg

But, where are the sides, you asked?

Dressing, cooked on the upper grate in the KK.

post-975-0-53340400-1417139408_thumb.jpg

Ubiquitous green bean casserole (with a new addition this year - artichoke hearts - liked it!!)

post-975-0-09881200-1417139482_thumb.jpg

But, where's the mac & cheese? Ta-da!

post-975-0-88011100-1417139524_thumb.jpg

Oh yeah, can't forget the cranberry relish (secret ingredient - Grand Marnier, shhh, don't tell anyone!)  

post-975-0-59886500-1417139640_thumb.jpg 

Gotta have something worthy to drink with it. 2005 Bonny Doon Cigare Blanc.

post-975-0-70241700-1417139730_thumb.jpg

Bon Appetit, ya'll!!

post-975-0-89278900-1417139755_thumb.jpg

Here's hoping that you and yours have the best Thanksgiving ever!!

• Like 1