bryan

sous vide flank steak times

These are some times I collected 7-8 yers ago when sv was starting in the home.

Sous Vide

==========

Steak (sv131=48h)       Flank w/Tian Provençal *

Steak (sv131=48h)       Flank Wagyu Teriyaki

Steak (sv132.8=1-48h) Flank Taco w/Red Onion Compote *

Steak (sv132=48h)        Flank Wagyu UK *

Steak (sv133=42h)        Flank *

Steak (sv140=8-24h)     Flank *

Steak (sv140=8-48h)     Flank *

Last month I played with flank steak

#1 (sv150=8h (to much) 

(#2 sv140=8h (to little).

This week I'm trying

sv145=8h. (hope to find baby bear you know "just right"

My point is are the sv meat recipe times we all use of 2 plus days correct?

What say you?

Nice to know things:

1- In sv cooking if there are two time numbers the first number is the ready to eat time.

The second number is how long product can be held at temp without a mush problem.

2- In BBQ when product is foil wrapped the stall will be skipped causing a definite shortening of cooking times. Sometimes hours.

I understand that there are plenty of opportunities for 48h sous vide. Usually cuts that we'd cook overnight in a KK, or braise all day in a clay pot.

For steak, I choose somewhere between minimum time till temperature stabilizes (usually an hour) and some additional time to tenderize more challenging but flavorful cuts (usually several hours). While I don't sweat it if dinner turns out an hour late, I've never applied 48h sous vide to steak. Except for brisket and pork butts, which welcome several days of advance planning, I rarely have any idea what I want to eat two days from now!

My advice for anyone starting out, with a steak they would have simply grilled in an earlier era, is to sous vide 1 to 2 hours. The interesting question is the target temperature, a matter of family personal preference. My family prefers 134 F or 136 F, which I've learned to enjoy, migrating from my very rare "just pull the shards of windshield out!" inclinations.

Just had to check out that flank steak again after cutting it up and bagging it for the freezer. I really like how moist it still is, thinking I won't change a thing about the cook other than I might try 131F instead of 132F just to see the difference.

This time of the year it is hard to keep up with the fresh veggies. I did use some up, julienned some zucchini squash, carrots, a white radish and added some dice garlic and onion chives for a nice mix.

SqDi8fe.jpg