DennisLinkletter

Alton Brown rave - Omega 3 Pigs

Friday, May 19, 2006

Omega Pigs

The New York Times reports on March 27th that a flock of university researchers at Harvard, U. of MO and U. of Pittsburgh Med schools Have created cloned pigs that produce omega-3 fatty acids. Why would one wish to do such a thing? Because it is generally believed that Omega-3s are so good for your heart that consuming them can improve your chances of not dropping dead of heart disease, that is unless other mitigating factors such as never exercising, eating lots of yummy saturated fats and possessing a doomed genetic code don’t get in the way. Omega 3 fatty acids seem to possess anti-inflammatory, anti-arrhythmic (prevent funny heart activity), and thrombogenic (prevent blood clots) powers which combined act as a bodyguard for the heart. Omega 3’s enter our diet primarily through cold, slimy things with scales, that is fish, especially oily, cold-water dwellers like salmon. I believe this may have something to do with the fact that eating fish is generally considered a good thing to do.

The good (and obviously very smart) folks who are developing these swine clearly believe that what they are doing is good. Here are some possible reasons:

Some people just can’t choke down fish, any fish and it doesn’t seem fair that they should be robbed of their chance to get a grip on the chemical life-saver that is Omega-3. Of course Omega-3s are available in dietary supplements so that’s probably not it.

Perhaps they feel that more people would feel good about eating pork if they knew it was good for their heart. Can you imagine doctors prescribing baby back ribs, double cut pork chops and entire butts of smoked hog? Man that would be nice, but why stop there.

Here’s why I’m going to be shifting all my food research donation money to help find an Omega-3 producing clonal porcine: maybe, just maybe, this will get us a step closer to producing an Omega-3 baring, low saturated fat, no sugar, zero carb, macrobiotic girl scout cookie. I mean there’s a goal worth supporting. If I could just get everything I need, and none of what I don’t from a tube of thin mints, then all this science would not have been in vain.

I’m joking only because the idea of an Omega-3 bearing pig makes me so mad I could snort. I bet if I could get some of these guys on the phone, which I can’t, they would tell me that this could be a break through that would make life-giving Omega-3s available to more people, and without taxing the supplies of the sea life that actually, naturally make the stuff. Well then, maybe, just maybe we should be putting our science behind saving the fish! Maybe then we wouldn’t need Omega-3 producing pigs. If we put all our nutrients into one menu item, then even more kids will head off to college not eating more than about 6 items, which by the way isn’t something I made up. Those people are out there and in a few years they’ll be deciding whether or not you get a home loan.

I realize I’m not hip to all the scientific possibilities of these amazing days, but I do have a deep suspicion that putting fish parts, no matter how small, into pigs is…stupid.

Besides, if science wanted to do us a favor, it would stick those Omega-3s in French Fries, or as previously stated…Girl Scout cookies.

:lol::lol::lol::lol:

Like it or not...

Genetically engineered foods are here to stay... The consumer is not aware/don't care... I'm somewhat picky but I generally don't seek out organic veggies and don't buy free-range anything. I think much of it is for the better (and I understand fully that the bulk of the meats that I consumed in my adult life was probably steroid enhanced stock bred over the years for muscle mass).

Anyone who has seen the guts of a hog farm knows that it ain't pretty or natural. Same with any chicken operation. My concern is more for the sanitary conditions of slaughterhouses/meat packing companies vs genetic altering... That said... if you're really dead set against this sort of thing...

http://www.supermarketguru.com/page.cfm/28238

Realize I'm coming late to the party on this one, and a disclaimer that I work for the U. of Pgh. Medical Center (nothing glitzy, trust me). But, part of the reason they're trying to do this may be that, as I recall, Omega-3s are predominantly found in deep sea cold water fish, not just any old fish. These fish are supposedly already overfished. Additionally, the capsules don't seem to have all of the protective effects of eating natural source Omega-3 (the thinking is that perhaps it's not just the O-3 that provides the protective effect). I believe that Omega-3 is also found in flaxseed, which can be added to meals by sprinkling it on as a sort of topping. Finally, they might have selected pigs for any number of reasons, but perhaps just to show it can be done to mammals. They may plan on moving on from here to other food source plants/animals. Of course, I don't know what their plans are, just a WAG. On the other hand, Dennis is right...there is a school of thought that a WIDE variety of foods provides a protective effect...the French eat a much larger variety of foods than us, and that this possibly a source of the "French paradox".