wilburpan

Restoring the teak shelves using the TeakGuard system

I bought the kit 5 years ago and finally did the refinish today! The before and after look exactly like Wilburpans above. Took three hours including a stop to eat supper. That was to sand with a palm sander and 60 grit paper, clean, rinse, dry, and refinish with 4 coats. The teak has very deep grain and I couldn’t sand it smooth. If I get the energy I might redo it with sanding sealer to get a very smooth surface. But I have to check with the manufacturer to see if TeakGuard is compatible with sanding sealer. As is, it looks 100% better than it did. These side tables have NEVER been protected from the elements. After all the prep, the finish goes on quickly, so I plan to apply some every 6 months.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, jonj said:

Haven't heard from Wilburpan in quite a while. Hope he is doing well.

We have quite a few "old timers" that are MIA - Wilbur is one, Ken (Ceramic Chef) is another, along with Poochie and Robert (5698k). Doc (mguerra) was MIA until his recent flurry of posts. 

My ears are burning! 😄

Nice job on your refinish, Mike! It looks really good. 

You mentioned that you used a palm sander. If you are referring to a small hand-held orbital sander, I actually think that sanding by hand with a sanding block is easier for this task, as long as you sand along the grain lines. The sanding block conforms somewhat to the grooves made by the wood grain lines, so it can get in there. An electric sander, where the sandpaper moves in a circular motion, will have a harder time with that.

Having said that, you can't argue with your results.

And here's a picture of a recent cook, just to show that I still am putting Smaug to good use. Pulled pork from a picnic roast, which is the part of the shoulder that is below the Boston butt. My local grocery store doesn't carry Boston butt except on rare occasions, but they have picnic roast pretty regularly. And yes, KK grills are so good (How good are they?) that this pulled pork was so tender that I was able to pull it with those two small salad forks in the lower right hand corner.

IMG_1373.jpeg

IMG_1377.jpeg

Edited by wilburpan
  • Like 3

Yes I used the supplied Norton sanding block along the grain initially. Then I switched to the orbital when I got tired! A belt sander handled with extreme care would do it, but I don’t have one. After I shot that video, I smoothed off the surface with the bronze wool. It is smooth(ish) to the touch and looks superb.

Picnics work great for pulled pork, I use them often. Smoke on, brother!

• Like 1