Majestik

Shredded Beef Tacos

This is for Drunk_J who has been craving some authentic mexican food. This is how we do it in San Diego, anyway....

SHREDDED BEEF

2 lb. boneless beef chuck

1/4 c. water

3 tbsp. red wine vinegar

1 1/2 c. regular strength beef broth

2 tbsp. chili powder

1 1/2 tsp. ground cumin

Trim and discard most of the fat from the beef. Then place the beef in a 5-6 quart pan with water.

Cover and cook over a medium heat for 30 minutes. (Watch carefully - don't let it burn and add water if necessary.)

Uncover and cook, turning as needed, until liquid evaporates and meat is well browned.

In a bowl combine vinegar, broth, chili powder and 1 teaspoon of the cumin.

Pour over the meat. Continue cooking, covered, over a medium heat until the meat is very tender and pulls apart easily (about 2 hours).

Let the meat cool, then shred and mix with the pan juices

This recipe is very loose... I inevitably add extra spice and vinegar myself. Once you have this shredded seasoned beef, serve it as tacos on corn tortillas. Fry the tortillas in a little hot oil first... both sides... until they start to crisp, but before they are actually crisp.... i.e. they should still bend... you'll see. Top with chopped onion, cilantro, salsa picante (Chollula, Tapatia, etc). Salsa and/or Guacamole... maybe some shredded mexican cheese and diced tomato...

I usually prepare my own salsas so I will post some of those later...

Sorry it's not Q, but it is still exelente.

:P

Re: Shredded Beef Tacos

SHREDDED BEEF

need i remind you that CHUCK ROLL is bbq and makes EXCELLENT tacos! great post majestik! them with frozen pulled beef sitting in the freezer might want to do a little THAW! would love to see the salsa recipes, and, if you have one, a good enchilada sauce recipe!

Re: Shredded Beef Tacos

SHREDDED BEEF

need i remind you that CHUCK ROLL is bbq and makes EXCELLENT tacos! great post majestik! them with frozen pulled beef sitting in the freezer might want to do a little THAW! would love to see the salsa recipes, and, if you have one, a good enchilada sauce recipe!

Zackly what I was thinking...cause I still have a few foodsavered bags in the fridge. :D:D

actually, a nice way to sorta move this "to the grill" would be to roast all the salsa ingredients there. onion, tomato, peppers... maybe even some lime slices?? for soft tacos, you could heat up a cast iron skillet on the upper grill and heat your tortillas on it and keep a nice dutch oven on the main grid with your beef filling. keep it all hot like a hot taco bar...

maybe...

Re: Alright, you had your laugh...

... no more revenge necessary, thanks.

I am too enfeebled right now to handle anything else. :smt088

Besides, it's all in good fun. Can't we all just get along?

:smt052

HEHEHEHE, just for future reference, you started it - hehe. It is too bad nobody else here will know exactly what you went through - darn - oh well, it was still fun.

-=Jasen=-