tony b

A home run and a foul ball

Did a double whammy SV cook for dinner tonight - tried the SV fried chicken and a re-do of MacKenzie's creamless, creamy potatoes. 

First, the home run - the fried chicken was spectacular!!! I will NEVER fry chicken any other way from now on. Perfectly cooked chicken - juicy, tender. Only fried the chicken for a couple of minutes on each side in 375F oil until golden brown (OK, maybe a tad darker, as I was caught a bit off guard as to how fast it browned up!) Details - one leg quarter in a bag with faux buttermilk (I didn't have any, so I improvised with 1/2 n 1/2 and sour cream), a healthy dose of kosher salt, and Frank's Hot Sauce; a humongous breast (we're talking Dolly Parton here) in the second bag, with the same marinade. Waited a bit late to get started, so the chicken only marinated for an hour. Leg Quarter in the SV bath @ 150F for 3 hours, the breast went in the bath for 90 minutes. Took them out, then classic treatment - dusted with seasoned flour (Dizzy Pig Bayou-ish), dunked in egg wash w/Frank's, then coated in bread crumbs and panko. Then into the fry pan until brown. 

OK, now the foul ball. The creamless potatoes. Tried the new technique. Boiled them until done. Air dried on a rack until cooled and dry. Then into the potato ricer. Riced potatoes into the food processor. I have to say that they processed so much easier this time. I did not add any liquid. Interesting to watch the transition. First, the potatoes balled up like a dough and rolled around the processor bowl. Then, I added the diastatic malt flour, and processed some more. They began to break down some and looked more like plaster of Paris. Into the SV bag and bath @ 126F for 30 minutes. Then, set the controller for 167F and when the bath reached that temp, I left them in for 2 &1/2 minutes. Piped them out of the bag onto the plate. I have to say that the texture was much improved over the first try. Thicker. However, the taste was the same - very malty sweet. Didn't taste like mashed potatoes at all. Added some butter, salted chives, black pepper and roasted garlic powder. Improved the flavor somewhat, but the texture became something reminiscent of baby food. So, after 2 valiant tries, I'm bailing on this one. Not my thing at all. YMMV