yeehaaa

Must have accessories-Need help?

Folks,

I'm a relative newbie to this site. But, I have concluded that I NEEEED a KK in my life.....I'm Qing chicken on a Weber kettle as I speak.....

I have gone through a bunch of forums and the result is confusion (probably an age thing since retirement is around the corner). I need some help in sorting out what accessories to get with the KK.

What are:

> must haves?

> nice to have?

I thought I knew the color I wanted until Dennis posted pics of the newest shipment. Boy, oh, boy....green, cobalt blue, terra cotta.....?????

Thanks for the help!

Careful if you decide on a pink one. Or one that looks pinkish if the light is low and you are squinting through a beer bottle. And beware of mustard, too. Not that either is a bad color. Just you'll suffer immeasurable personal abuse from some on this site if you pick one of those. :smt021

My ceramic cooker is cobalt blue tile. Dennis posted photos that were just lovely!! That wedgewood blue textured is a drooler, too, IMHO.

Accessories you 'need'? ALL of them!!! :D Stainless steel bands are good. Deflector, upper grill (doubles as sear grill), gas (to light the coals, although there are other ways to do it). Guru port (it's closed up, which allows you to choose whether you want to get a Guru later, or not). Dunno if Dennis has a meat hanger, but most would probably say don't bother with that one. I think it comes with the holes for an EZ Que rotiss, so you can get the rotiss. from EZ Que later. Those with it can tell better than I if there are "Dennis" parts to order for the rotiss.

Make a shopping list, and add it all up. When you regain consciousness, start deciding if you can cut anywhere. For example, textured will cook just as well as tiled, and look wonderful, and you can use the money you save to get accessories. :)

Most important, have FUN!! :smt031

Stainless steel bands are good.

What Bands? The BEST ceramic cookers dont have bands! :shock:

My bad. Of course no bands. I recall there was a choice of ss or powder coated exterior metal parts. That's what I meant. Of course. Unless I meant the Marine Corps Marching Band. And that could be it. ;)

hey sanny! even the standard volcanic comes with stainless damper top. i THINK the grates are porcelain coated steel, and powder coated steel accents on the outside, altho i've never seen it that way, and the product description isn't totally clear on whether or not the "bumpers", lower draft door, handle, and upper draft band are stainless or powder coat.

deluxe and supreme come with all stainless components.

to answer the original question; the heat shield/pizza stone will come with, which you will NEED. you also will WANT/NEED the lower searing grill AND the upper extended grill (goes on top of the main grill to make 2 tier cooking possible). if dennis stops making the lower sear grill (because you can flip the upper grill over and use it below the main) i would say you still want two so you can set up for indirect 2 tier cooking. heat shield goes on the NEW IMPROVED firebox risers, then lower grill/inverted upper grill with a drip pan set up, then main grill (filled with pork butt!) and then upper grill (with more pork butt or a packer trim brisket!).

you get all that, you will be loaded for bear! i don't use gas, so i'd say skip it. if it is a choice between the above "options" or gas, skip the gas! these things get lit with a couple wads of paper in NO TIME! also, if you need to save dough, you can skip getting a guru. if you ever decide to get one, the port for it is always there, but you will never need it. i don't use one and my KK goes all night long with no futzing required. SET IT AND FORGET IT!

the ONLY item i'd like to have besides the above listed items would be the rotis set up! that and an upper grill are my next purchases!

Terra Cotta

...now I like the terra cotta ==>> probably the one.

Here's my new baby...shipped last Thursday 10/19 so I'm expecting early Dec delivery! This one's sold TO ME so you'll have to get the next one.

Gloating & Eager here in Gulf Breeze, FL

twharton

"Where thousands live the way millions wish they could."pastedGraphic.jpg