Shuley

Food safety question

So I bought a brisket from Costco yesterday expecting to throw it in tonight after my country style ribs and serve it tomorrow. However now my hubby isn't feeling well so entertaining tomorrow is almost definitely out of the question. The brisket has this label on it indicating the sell by date as 8/8b48ed41bd4249c00ab5ff19066f275ac.jpg I understand sell by date is not the same as a use by safe, but I'm not sure how much time I have.

So my question is, will it be ok in the fridge until Friday night (the 12th). Should I cook it tonight and just have it for us and a boat load of left overs during the week? Should I try to find room in the freezer? (this option doesn't seem likely as we have one small freezer) unfortunately, I go back to work this Wednesday so a midweek cook will not be likely.

I should throw in I am extremely conscious of food safety and would prefer to err on the side of caution if there is any doubt.

Not sure about leaving it longer in the vac bag; not generally a fan of vac bagged meat.   But you could unwrap, rinse and place it on a rack atop a sheet pan...and do a faux refrigerator dry aging process until next weekend.   I've done it many times with steak cuts...never a brisket but can't imagine this process wouldn't benefit flavor, texture and relative tenderness...

Curious to hear what others say.

All big butcher/meat producers cryopac meat. It came to the grocery store that way straight from the origin slaughter/butchering/processing plant. As long as it's kept below 40* it can easily be kept in a cryopac for 30-60-90 days.
It's the meat you buy in a grocery store that's been repacked in Styrofoam w/ plastic wrap you have to worry about. It was delivered to the grocery store in a cryopac then opened, cut up and repacked. Oxygen and contaminats hit it. Now you have a seriously shortened shelf life.
Original cryopac kept below 40* will last a long time.

Sent from my XT1585 using Tapatalk

• Like 1