Curly

Tormek Knife Sharpener

This is a absolutely the best wet grinder on the market that is within the reach of the normal people (if you consider me normal :shock: ). A great one if you are into wood working and have a lot of chisles etc. that need that razor edge.

It will do any shaped chisle, scizzors, axes, machettes and kitchen knives as well and extremely sharp, but probably overkill for just the kitchen accesories, unless you just have to have the best. I'm no longer that way (well, except in my cooker choice :shock: ) cause I became a poor man to move to the woods. But I'm poor, happy and ignorant now that I've moved to SC :roll: . And if you come for a visit, bring your dull knife and I'll put a razor edge on it for you :D

If you compare the Tormek to that archaic thing DJ posted about...well, it's like comparing my new cooker to my older one...shoot man...it's in a whole nuther league :evil: .

http://www.tormek.com/

Nice looking sharpener! I though it deserved it's own thread here Curly, so I moved it from underneath the other sharpener thread. But your comparison could not be more wrong as far as I am concerned. Putting a motor on a wet stone is not something new by any means.

I prefer ones with a lockable angle. I also worry that a slip could result in placing a divot in the blade with powered sharpeners. I still prefer manual sharpeners. My manual easily changes between 6 different grits of stones, a polisher and ceramic for that really super fine edge.

-=Jasen=-

Dude, I thought I was crazy and I copied it back...just delete it.

No, this thing moves so slow that it can't put divots in anything. And the angles do lock in. It polishes...it does it all. Like I said, it's way overkill though, if you just want it for your kitchen knives, unless maybe you owned a big restuarant and were paying out the kazoo to have your cutlery sharpened.

No, this thing moves so slow that it can't put divots in anything. And the angles do lock in. It polishes...it does it all. Like I said, it's way overkill though, if you just want it for your kitchen knives, unless maybe you owned a big restuarant and were paying out the kazoo to have your cutlery sharpened.

Hehe, I made this new thread for your link, that is why I moved the first and deleted the second.

So it does have a place to set your knife that holds the angle. That is cool. Yeah, for $600 it is a bit overkill. But all I saw was two wheels, so I am bit confused how it can do all those other things?

-=Jasen=-

Hehe, I made this new thread for your link, that is why I moved the first and deleted the second.

So it does have a place to set your knife that holds the angle. That is cool. Yeah, for $600 it is a bit overkill. But all I saw was two wheels, so I am bit confused how it can do all those other things?

-=Jasen=-

$600 is just the basic unit, another $600 will get you all of the attachments :shock: . Actually I have no idea now what I paid for it and all of the attachments. But it has 2 wheels and a polisher of leather with a compound to apply to the leather (kinda like the leather strap the barber used). The wheel I use is extremely fine so the only reason I polish is to remove the invisible burr. Believe me, it's a full service shapening company...if you want to go into business.

I have used one of these Chef's Choice 110 sharpeners for 20 years..

3 grit diamond stones, self adjusts for proper angle.. Razor sharp and cheap

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/details.asp?SKU=698

Yes, this or the one DJ posted would be more in line for the kitchen cutlery. I bought mine primarily for my woodworking tools...back before I commited myself to the poor house. :?

Yes, this or the one DJ posted would be more in line for the kitchen cutlery. I bought mine primarily for my woodworking tools...back before I commited myself to the poor house. :?

Curly, are you familiar with the "scary sharp" method? It's the best for chisels and plane blades, simple, inexpensive and an edge that's SCARY sharp!! :axe: Google it.

Yeah, I have used that one and ended up returning it. I was not happy with the edge and it would not fit my bigger knives (also different knives have different working angles - so one fixed angle will not work for me). The one I posted is only $120 to get most everything you need. The $180 kit just adds lots of extras - so that ain't a bad price for a professional sharpening system.

-=Jasen=-

Curly, are you familiar with the "scary sharp" method? It's the best for chisels and plane blades, simple, inexpensive and an edge that's SCARY sharp!! :axe: Google it.

No, and if it's really good and cheaper I don't want to know about it :shock: I paid way to much for this system to abandon it, and my feelings will be hurt if you can sharpen all those different shaped chisels a lot cheaper :D

My other hobby is woodworking so I've tried quite a few sharpening systems. No system is foolproof... you need to practice or see the technique shown to you. Scary sharp is great for flat blades (fast, easy edge, etc.), especially if you have a good honing guide (Veritas, etc.). For knives, I like the Tormek (or similar Jet product) but it takes some practice to get the motion down. Go down to goodwill and buy 3-4 cheap knives and practice on them before sharpening your $100 chef knife.

My other hobby is woodworking so I've tried quite a few sharpening systems. No system is foolproof... you need to practice or see the technique shown to you. Scary sharp is great for flat blades (fast' date=' easy edge, etc.), especially if you have a good honing guide (Veritas, etc.). For knives, I like the Tormek (or similar Jet product) but it takes some practice to get the motion down. Go down to goodwill and buy 3-4 cheap knives and practice on them before sharpening your $100 chef knife.[/quote']

Now you tell me :shock:

Yeah, I don't think Jet had their product out when I bought my Tormek...or I probably would have got that (at least I never saw or heard of it). I've got a couple of Jet tools and like them. I used to shop a lot at a Woodcraft store in Atlanta which is where most of that stuff was.

I'm not sure how scary sharp works, but chisles on a Tormek (and I'm sure Jet) can get scary sharp...and it's so simple for those flat blades too.

Ok I have to weigh in here because I have already asked (Whined to) Mrs. Clause (AKA: Wifey) For the Veritas system. I have been using the Veritas guide on waterstones for a while but have reached the point where I am impatient and lazy. The tormek looks like an awesome system but the reading I have done rates the Veritas as just as good but or a lot fewer dollars. For the Tormek I would have to sell my Fifth Born. (not much value left in the first four).

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48435&cat=1,43072

I know it is off topic for a Ceramic grilling site but how about some pics of those woodworking projects from the shops. I am always looking to steal an idea...I mean appreciate the fine craftmanship that went into the generation of the best smoking scraps around.

I know it is off topic for a Ceramic grilling site but how about some pics of those woodworking projects from the shops. I am always looking to steal an idea...I mean appreciate the fine craftmanship that went into the generation of the best smoking scraps around.

Actually, this is exactly why I created the Lagniappe section. It is for fun stuff that is totally irrelevant to the rest of the forum that you just want to share. Would be nice if some more folks posted in there.

-=Jasen=-

Ok I have to weigh in here because I have already asked (Whined to) Mrs. Clause (AKA: Wifey) For the Veritas system. I have been using the Veritas guide on waterstones for a while but have reached the point where I am impatient and lazy. The tormek looks like an awesome system but the reading I have done rates the Veritas as just as good but or a lot fewer dollars. For the Tormek I would have to sell my Fifth Born. (not much value left in the first four).

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.aspx?c=2&p=48435&cat=1,43072

If you are like me you tend to get gadgets (tools) just for the fun of getting them. I have never owned, or used a Tormek, but I have used wet stones, and the Scary Sharp method is easier, cleaner, faster, and has allowed me to produce better edges than ever before. I don't want to stand in the way of a new toy, but you should try it out first. Cost of entry is extremely low and if you already have the Veritas gauge/holder, you only need a flat surface and some sandpaper.

The 'valve - part time wood butcher