I've posted a very basic means for developing your own dry rub on my website at:

http://www.porkchopbbq.com/dryrub101.html

If you don't have a dry rub of your own yet, and are a little perplexed as to where to start, please consider this humble offering in the spirit of sharing.

which means if you make a great discovery, i call dibs! :mrgreen:

Greeaat... Just what the doctor ordered!

I've been wanting to make my own rubs but did not know where to start... The only ones I have here are what I bring back on my annual trip to the States or what ACE hardware sells, mostly dusty Webber stuff.

Question.. The "2-3 T" in the Main players are tablespoons?

That would be my guess if the supporting players are teaspoons...

I can hardly wait to grind up some fresh rub!

Thanks again...

:wink:

correct. "T" stands for tablespoons, lower case "t" for teaspoons. More conversions:

3t=1T

8T=1/2 cup

This gives you an overall idea of what you're going for as far as spice/sugar/salt.

Also, grinding your spices fresh is a great idea, when applicable. I also tend to use table-style salt (non-iodized, remember), rather than larger grained kosher salt. the smaller grain mixes better with the rest of the rub ingredients.

oh, that's just me jumping on the ol' bandwagon. most recipes i've seen specify non-iodized. i've heard some say that it can leave a soapy aftertaste on bbq, and can cause some discoloration. for me, i just figure i want non iodized salt because it's plain. i've tried using kosher, but the grain size doesn't allow for an even mix with the other rub ingredients; it settles to the bottom of the shaker.

i've used iodized plenty of times and never noticed, but its better to be safe than sorry. just cause i cant taste the difference doesn't mean a guest cant either...

One idea for rubs that you may try is to grind them after you mix them.

I have started putting all my rub ingredients into a magic bullet, and then grinding them to a fine powder before using. Seems to work well. My raw sugar and sea salt are pretty course, but 10 seconds of grinding and everything is a consistent fine powder. Put the shaker lid on, and I am all set.

yep, i've done that too. never tried sea salt! just seemed too much expense for me. far as grinding goes, i seem to be making rub "on the fly" half the time anyhow; plain salt is the right grain size to match up with granulated sugar and just GO. i can just slap my rub together and get it on the pork. sounds silly, but i'm always in a rush.

i may try this with the raw sugar and sea salt tho. time to mess about a bit...

then i'll definitely try this out. y'know, if you are going for something simple, some coarse salt, coarse cracked black pepper, and that raw sugar might make an interesting rub. i think pellicle formation on your pork might be a bit more robust with the larger crystals, and, since they are all roughly the same size, they should stay well mixed with one another.

two very interesting ideas! thanks for the kick in the laurels! maybe even a 2-stage rub; first the large crystals to make everything tacky, then dust with a spice mix (no salt or sugar). that wet pellicle should grab on and draw those spices right in! now you got me thinking!

PC posted a while ago about needing a new hosting service for his site. Here is a cached copy of the page in question, courtesy of google's cache:

Basic Dry Rub 101

Lots of folks are intimidated by the idea of trying to put together their own dry rub, and limit themselves to premade rubs. Now, while there are tons of really great rubs out there, I am personally involved in this for my own enjoyment. Why shortchange myself by using other folks' rubs??

There is a simple formula for creating a base for your rub. Once you start fooling around with this, you'll find yourself having alot of fun, and impressing others with your culinary greatness.

Dry Rub Base

* 1 cup sugar

* 1/2 cup NON-IODIZED salt

Yep, that's it. This is the basic framework for delivering your flavors to the meat. We won't go into things like the crystal structure of salt and sugar, and how this delivers flavors to the meat via osmosis. Check out Alton Brown's stuff on foodnetwork.com.

Anyway, that's just the base. Now you add herbs, spices, etc. Stop and ask yourself, "What flavors do I like?" Onion. Garlic. Ginger? There are main players and supporting players, but all are needed. Major players, consider adding 2-3 T for each addition to the above base, 12 T of major players maximum (otherwise, you have to start re-balancing for salt and sugar). My major players tend to be spices like:

Chili powder

Onion powder

Garlic powder

Paprika

Oregano

For supporting players, go with 1-3 teaspoons for each addition, 12 teaspoons maximum. My supporting players tend to be:

Ground sage

Ground celery seed

Ground savory

Black pepper

Cayenne pepper

Cumin

A good dry rub will taste good on anything you would salt. My favorite test is a hot batch of french fries. If it tastes good on fries, it'll be good on your ribs!

So take a shot. Experiment. If you still like using other folks' rubs, then go for it. But don't neglect this side of the pursuit from intimidation. You might like yours better than the other guys! Oh, and make sure you take notes! A must. You gotta know what's in your own rub, after all!

HEHEHE - was at a friends house about a month ago and dined on those same Pier One plates! Sounds like P1 made a mint on us all.

Thanks for the kinds words and YES it was awesome...tender, moist and tasty. Took the whole 'pile-o-meat' on vacation the next day and ate pulled pork sammies for the first few days :) - whipped up a little roasted pablano Aoli to go with it for some 'zing'. I might have had more to survive on but the secret got out and the rest of the family and friends attacked my stash. Gone in two days :smt045

Not so lucky on the Chuck roll I did when I got back...check out the recent post under the 'Beef' section. :oops:

Hi Gang - as a noob, I'm stickin my nose into some of the good old stuff on the forum. :study:

Good advice, Chop! I like to make my rubs in small use-it-now batches, so the spices stay fresher.

My fave supporting players are sweet spices for pork(cinnamon, allspice, clove,) A good shortcut is to use Indian garam masala mix!

I like cumin and powdered bay leaves for beef.

Asian markets are a great place to get inexpensive sea salt.

Korean coarse ground red pepper - the type used for kimchi- is what I use for red pepper in my rubs. Tastes great, no seeds.

dub(rub it in rub it in)

Hi Gang - as a noob, I'm stickin my nose into some of the good old stuff on the forum. :study:

dub(rub it in rub it in)

You may be new to this forum, but I seriously doubt you are a newb - hehe! I seem to remember you from years back.

See if this rings a bell. If you were stranded on a desert island and could only bring one beer, what would it be??? Dogfishhead 120min IPA!! Cheers! :drinkers: And welcome to the forum if I had not already mentioned it! BTW, Dogfishhead just started distributing to my state this year - SSSHHHHWING!

-=Jasen=-