leejp

Smoke EVERYTHING!

jack, this kinda nonsense from frou-frou, city-boy bistros really chaps my a$$! they're watchin too much emeril. all of that expensive restaurant equipment they got going in their kitchens, and they can't plunk down a few bucks on even an electric smoker cabinet? lame.

imagine the showpiece one of the KK's would be for a restaurant like this, maybe a few. tiled to match the surrounding decor, with some smug chef-type-guy grilling steaks over a 900 deg fire! another loaded to the gills with pork shoulders, slowly puffing away, and a third filled with slabs of ribs sweltering and gettin all tender. or pork loins, or tenderloins, or whatever...

stove top "smoker box"?? please. jack, you need to straighten these guys out, brother! bring 'em a slab of your finest and change their lives!

Actually Porkchop...

They really are catching on....

Legitimate que joints in New York are growing in number.

They go through extremes to open a place in the city though... Blue Smoke for example had to install 15 story air handlers to get the exhaust from their pit out of the way of apartment and office buildings. Funnier still is that they had to educate their customers that the part of the meat that's pink is the smoke ring... not undercooked!

Now I agree that some of these contraptions are just plain silly... But what is one to do if they live in a high rise and long for the smoke? There are people that use clever methods to get around the residents' association.

http://twothirds.org/2005/09/smoking-po ... lower.html

http://www.ntscblog.com/2005/07/little- ... ndo-q.html

The point is that whatever it is... it's better smoked. My first smoker was an electric Brinkmann water. Now look where I am... There'll be some lunatic fringe folks who get started with the stove top thing. They just need to be educated.

oh, sure, all of that is cool. what i'm talking about are the regular "hip" restaurants jumping on the bandwagon. you can't make pulled pork in a smoker box! if you own "chez hipjoint" and you want to sell $20 pulled pork sammiches, go buy real pulled pork from the REAL bbq man who had to put in 20 story stacks for the love of Q, and serve it as your own. better yet, keep making your quiches and send your bbq-hungry customer down to the pit instead. there's enuf customers in NYC so that everybody can have a piece; they don't have to try and steal the bbq market, misinform their rich customers, and keep them from having GOOD pull!

if you live in a NY highrise and long for Q, go see the guy with the pit that hadda invest in that 20 story stack. you'll appreciate it way more than what comes out of that smoke box!

and, while i don't know anything about NYC codes, if you already have a vent hood over flattops and stoves and stuff, you can just hook up another hood and roll a kk up under it, right? :D

didn't mean it against the "average joe", just the CIA grads who should know better, and are just trying to follow "the trend" rather than pursue the mastery of an art form.

Porkchop, I agree about a row of tiled KK's in a restaurant. I'd line them up against a wall, probably elevated a bit, either behind a window or not, but out in the dining area where everyone cuold see them. A couple of them could be doing pizzas, a couple roasting meats, you name it. Say about 8 of them lined up. Chefs going to and fro, opening them and removing food as needed. Heck, even if I had gas smoker in the back, I'd put the food in the KK just so people saw me taking things out of beautiful cookers. I mean, crikey, how much does a commercial 8 burner gas range/oven cost? Wow, what a sight, all those cookers lined up.

It works for the Weber folks (they have a chain of Weber restaurants that cook on the giant ranch kettles)...There are even a few hotels that bought #9s. So, it would certainly be a success with KK's!

I would even have a couple of them in the front, one on each side of the lobby so customers could touch and feel them and marvel at their quality while waiting to be seated. Oh, and maybe one more out on the patio bar grilling burgers and such, and another on the patio full of shell-on peanuts for people to eat while on the patio. That would definitely be a successful concept!

Now...imagine the remodel that will be going on when those #9s shed their tiles and crack into rubble :shock: