cruz-in

Baking in the KK and info on the NY Time Article

Good Morning All,

I too enjoy baking bread and plan to do it im my new KK. As far as getting steam into it. I though I read somewhere that someone was (or had al least thought of) injecting water into the KK via the Polder port.

Also I would greatly appreciate a link or pointer to NY Times info on the baking of bread in a dutch oven.

Thanks

Dan

NY Times Bread

http://select.nytimes.com/gst/abstract. ... 94DE404482

Here's a link, but I'm afraid it's gone to archive now. Pay per view.

I wrote the ingredients out, but don't have it on this computer (work). Maybe someone else has them? I know we discussed the recipe on this board when we first read it in the paper. Maybe if you use "search" you can find it?

The gist of it is make a very wet dough, with just a teeeny tweak of yeast, and let it bubble for 18 hours. That allows gluten to develop, and the flavor of the ferment adds to the delicious flavor of the bread. Then paw it into a round ball, let it rest for a bit, then plop it into a preheated (very hot) dutch oven. Put the lid on, and bake. The moisture in the closed pot is like the misting of water in an oven for other recipes.

Take the finished bread from the pan immediately, and let it cool (if you can wait that long!).

I think I printed out the recipe and the article. I've used the recipe alot and love the simplicity and the quality of the bread it makes...a real artisan looking loaf. I was never able to get something like that before. I am using a sourdough culture though, not the regular yeast the article calls for. If you're interested, I'll look and can mail you a copy if/when I find it. Or, you can purchase the article at the NYT website, if it's like their other stuff. Let me know. Rick

Here it is. I read that 1 1/2 cups water is better,

Recipe: No-Knead Bread

Adapted from Jim Lahey, Sullivan Street Bakery

Time: About 1½ hours plus 14 to 20 hours’ rising

3 cups all-purpose or bread flour, more for dusting

¼ teaspoon instant yeast

1¼ teaspoons salt

Cornmeal or wheat bran as needed.

1. In a large bowl combine flour, yeast and salt. Add 1 5/8 cups water, and stir until blended; dough will be shaggy and sticky. Cover bowl with plastic wrap. Let dough rest at least 12 hours, preferably about 18, at warm room temperature, about 70 degrees.

2. Dough is ready when its surface is dotted with bubbles. Lightly flour a work surface and place dough on it; sprinkle it with a little more flour and fold it over on itself once or twice. Cover loosely with plastic wrap and let rest about 15 minutes.

3. Using just enough flour to keep dough from sticking to work surface or to your fingers, gently and quickly shape dough into a ball. Generously coat a cotton towel (not terry cloth) with flour, wheat bran or cornmeal; put dough seam side down on towel and dust with more flour, bran or cornmeal. Cover with another cotton towel and let rise for about 2 hours. When it is ready, dough will be more than double in size and will not readily spring back when poked with a finger.

4. At least a half-hour before dough is ready, heat oven to 450 degrees. Put a 6- to 8-quart heavy covered pot (cast iron, enamel, Pyrex or ceramic) in oven as it heats. When dough is ready, carefully remove pot from oven. Slide your hand under towel and turn dough over into pot, seam side up; it may look like a mess, but that is O.K. Shake pan once or twice if dough is unevenly distributed; it will straighten out as it bakes. Cover with lid and bake 30 minutes, then remove lid and bake another 15 to 30 minutes, until loaf is beautifully browned. Cool on a rack.

Yield: One 1½-pound loaf. (someone already posted the recipe at: http://www.slashfood.com/2006/11/16/no- ... the-world/

my introduction to cooking was working in a bakery here in C/U that was/is run by a german-swiss lady who did it all. she taught me how to make the swiss style water breads and to get steam involved for crust formation in the oven, we used a mini bread pan with a cup or so of ice cubes. put it in right alonside the breads. use one of them pizza ovens for the baking. should work the same in the kk.