DennisLinkletter

SeriousEats.com - 10 Best Kamados

SeriousEats.com  The Big Green Egg and Beyond: The 10 Best Kamado Smokers and Grills

Komodo Kamado makes the other kamado grills look like toys in this image from an article about kamados. Too bad it's not to scale it would look even more badass!

SeriousEats.com - 10 Best Kamado Smokers and Grills

seriousEats.jpg

That article is written by Max Good, the principal reviewers over at AmazingRibs.com and reflects a small bias against the kamado.    To the Amazing Ribs crew, 2-Zone is the be all and end all.  they generally don't think much of kamados when all is said and done.  I'm trying my best to educate them over there.  The kamado 101 posts have been well received so far.  I'm about to wind up the posts on Smoking and we're about to move on to 2-Zone cooking, something that you can do on just about any kamado IF  you know what you're doing.  

All in all, I think that review is pretty fair.  I will say this, Amazing Ribs does like the KK.  But then, what's not to like, right!?

• Like 1

I was less than pleased to be quoted with a how to light charcoal that is nothing special. I wrote Max and told him my lighting technique got a bit lost in translation..  and gave him this.       

Fill the charcoal basket, light one small piece of lump charcoal the size of a walnut with a paraffin cube, torch or heat gun.  Once lit use a cheapo hairdryer as a “blower” to get the now lit piece glowing madly. (get one with a big fan the size of a large lemon) The heat generated from the glowing charcoal will quickly ignite as much charcoal as you need because as the charcoal is lit it also immediately starts to glow madly and light more. Nothing gets charcoal lit faster outside of a big gas weed burner.

• Like 3

I was less than pleased to be quoted with a how to light charcoal that is nothing special. I wrote Max and told him my lighting technique got a bit lost in translation..  and gave him this.       

Fill the charcoal basket, light one small piece of lump charcoal the size of a walnut with a paraffin cube, torch or heat gun.  Once lit use a cheapo hairdryer as a “blower” to get the now lit piece glowing madly. (get one with a big fan the size of a large lemon) The heat generated from the glowing charcoal will quickly ignite as much charcoal as you need because as the charcoal is lit it also immediately starts to glow madly and light more. Nothing gets charcoal lit faster outside of a big gas weed burner.

He definetley missed the hair dryer bit I've seen you mention it

Outback Kamado Bar and Grill ♨