BARDSLJR

Thoughts and observations on the BBQ Guru

Okay, I got my BBQ Guru a few months ago and have used it maybe four or five times. Observations:

1) I love the way it ramps up and holds temps. And all the recommendations I have gotten from my friends here on the KK Forum about checking for all potential air leaks, only barely cracking open the upper lid vent, regulating the damper on the Guru fan...these have been great suggestions, and all spot-on.

2) The Guru software is buggy, at least with my IOS (Iphone and Ipad) devices, and the bluetooth connections are not very robust- frequently dropping off even when I am in the side yard within 50 feet of the Guru, or when I go inside the house. The smoker and meat temp readings sometimes freeze, misleadingly.

3) Check to make sure all the connections are tight. Last night and this morning I was losing power to the main Guru unit: finally figured out that there is a screw-tightening function where the electrical cord meets the transformer unit.

4) Placing the temperature probe for the smoker oven- where do y'all put the probe? Temperatures are quite different at different places on the grill- some guidance from the Guru folks about where to place it for consistency's sake would be helpful.

More thoughts later as they occur to me.

I made a holder for the grill temp probe out of a wine cork (have plenty of those lying around - LOL!) I just cut a chunk out of each side, leaving a center strip the width of the gap between the grate rods and just deep enough to hold itself in place. If you make this strip too long, it will likely snap off on you as cork isn't very strong. On the other end of the cork, I just tap in a small nail. I clip the grill probe's alligator clip to the nail. You can buy similar devices premade. But, mine works, and probably cost me $0.02 for the nail. YMMV

BBQ Probe Tree - Probe Organizer (bbqguru.com)

Why, you may ask? If you clip the probe directly to the grate, you're going to get a falsely high reading from heat conduction from the grate. What you really want to be measuring is the ambient (air) temperature, which is what the actual cooking temperature is. I usually place the cork a couple of inches away from the meat, so the meat temperature doesn't overly influence the grill temperature reading. But, you don't want to get too far away, as you want to be monitoring the air temperature that the meat is seeing; especially if you are cooking indirect, you don't want the grill probe to be exposed to direct heat from the charcoal basket. 

• Like 2